Question Increased System RAM Lead To Lower Unigine score

Boraes

Honorable
Apr 24, 2014
Hiya Everyone,

Ok I noticed something odd yesterday evening. I usually run Corsair Vengenance 32Gb DDR3 2400Mhz RAM (4 x 8gb) bought as 2 x sets. I recently had a dead stick which under their life time warranty meant I had to send back two of the sticks as they were sold as a pair. Ok no problem.

Frustratingly Corsair no longer manufacture DDR3 2400 Mhz Ram and would only replace them with a set which runs at Corsair Vengenance 1600Mhz. Of course I understand that RAM will run at the speed of the slowest stick. Whilst waiting on them I had a new GFX card available for me to play around with. When I ran Unigine Benchmarking with just 16gb of RAM the score was 3,540 but had set the RAM speed in the Bios to 1600mhz.

16gb.jpg

Once the modules had arrived I ran the Unigine again with all 4 x sticks back in and the returned score was 3,293

32gb.jpg

As the CPU and GPU are the main elements that generate the scores, I would have thought that even if the Mhz was 1/3 lower, doubling the RAM would pretty much balance out any loss the system RAM has on the score? Or is this to be expected?