[SOLVED] increased temps after reaplying thermal paste

bingo-993

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
I have a rog strix 2080 ti which is used for more than 2 years now, it was never opened so the thermal paste is 2 YO too. i decided to re apply with the best I have, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. and temps now are 2-3 c worse. i don't get it I tried many different ways to apply the paste still the same.

could this be that Asus uses a better paste then Kryonaut! it is 2 years old and cools better or could it be my paste running old, i have it for about 3 years or more.

Solution
An air-cooled 2080 ti will often hit or go over 80c, which is the temp that Kryonaut degrades and dries out at. Keep in mind that if reported temps are even just low to mid 70s, there will still typically be hotspots well over 80. IMO Kryonaut should only be used with liquid cooling, specifically not air. It would not be my first choice for a high wattage GPU unless it is a hybrid or you're using a custom loop
Dec 22, 2020
An air-cooled 2080 ti will often hit or go over 80c, which is the temp that Kryonaut degrades and dries out at. Keep in mind that if reported temps are even just low to mid 70s, there will still typically be hotspots well over 80. IMO Kryonaut should only be used with liquid cooling, specifically not air. It would not be my first choice for a high wattage GPU unless it is a hybrid or you're using a custom loop

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution