Increased virtual memory, startup slowed down

ahung12

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017
I was having "low memory" issues during gaming, so I increased virtual memory. -I have 8gb of physical RAM, OS on C: drive (SSD) and most programs on E: drive (HD).
-Using most recommended methods I've found, I increased the page file size on the C: drive to 24576mb (3x my physical RAM) for both min and max.
-After making this change the computer starts up very slow. Windows 10 loads up as normal, but icon pictures take several minutes to load. Same goes for opening any programs from the desktop shortcuts, and autorun-at-startup programs.
-After hours of trial and error of combinations of page file sizes, C: drive only, E: drive only, etc etc, the only way to get things to run "normally" is to revert to having WIndows automatically manage paging file sizes for all pages, as it was in the default setting. This of course causes "low memory" errors again, which only happen when I try to play games.

What's happening?

ahung12

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017

Thanks Kanewolf. I've reverted back to the default Windows setting for now so that things run normally and I'm just not gaming for the moment but if I go back to fiddle with the pagefile settings I will limit it to 1.5X.

However, my understanding is that the problem is not my lack of enough physical RAM (many threads on other forums show others with less RAM, lesser GPU's and processors not having the same issues I'm having). Everything I've read has lead me to believe that a custom pagefile setting should solve my issues, given my current setup. More importantly, nothing I've read so far can explain why having the pagefile size set to anything other than default should cause the issues I'm having.

Any insight on that? Again, I've tried various combinations of settings (including having the pagefile set to 8192mb min and 10240mb max) and its always the same issue. Computer boots into Windows 10, and the system will lag on all commands (showing proper desktop icons opening folders, opening control panel) for several minutes until everything springs open a once.

kanewolf

Titan
I have never looked into all the steps at start-up, but I assume some sort of access of the page file happens. If it is MUCH larger, then it takes longer. There are tools to profile startup time.
What is your CPU loading during these lags? It sounds like your CPU is maxed.

ahung12

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017

Minimal things. I very purposefully keep my system pretty stripped down. During a normal startup, it takes about 12 seconds from when I push the power button to when I'm able to start working. Unfortunately after I set any custom pagefile size, I can't even open Task Manager to see what the CPU load is during startup so I'm not sure what is going on.

TRENDING THREADS