Increasing CPU temperature on Windows 10

michaelstocker240

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018
After installing a H100i watercooler on my AMD FX-8320 back when I used windows 7, the temps were perfect. I had it go as low as 2C when idle. I had the freedom to overclock to really high speeds, although I only went to 4GHz (500MHz over default) without any voltage changes. But things have changed since getting windows 10. for a while it was running great. I started getting crashes that indicated CPU failure. But it turned out de-selecting an option in windows 10 settings to disable fast startup fixed that. As time went on my temps started to increase, even after cleaning out dust every month or so and re-applying thermal compound. It got to a point where the temps were getting so high even after disabling overclock, that I had to turn power settings down to reduce heat. Now i'm running 8 cores at 2.9GHz instead of the default 3.5GHz. But now it's getting to a point where I need to lower it again, any more decrease in power will not allow my CPU to run applications properly and might even stop the CPU from working entirely. I worry my CPU is nearing the end of it's life since having it for about 3-4 years. I'm running out of options and desperate for a fix without spending lots of money for new parts. There is a good chance this is unfix-able damage of bad power flow but on the chance it isn't, any help will be much appreciated.

Some extra info:
I believe my cooler is working fine, as I can hear and feel the pump spinning at speeds relative to what is shown on software monitoring. The pipe leading back into the CPU is relatively cool unlike the one coming out suggesting that the coolant is being cooled inside the cooler properly, that also suggests that the heat generated by the CPU is being transferred to the cooler properly.
My CPU only needs to be running about 50% to reach dangerous temps at clock speeds lower than default.
According to task manager the only programs causing CPU usage are programs I am intentionally running.
I have made sure all drivers are up to date including the BIOS. All BIOS settings are default.

Motherboard used: GA-990XA-UD3 R5

Solution

michaelstocker240

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018
And yes... It's not possible, but what if ambient temp was 2C at the time? That is not so impossible.

so,what exactly are your temps??idle and under load.and unless your room was damn cold there is no way your temp would be 2c.i would try another program for temp checking.also go into your bios and check the temp there and compare.just what do you mean by unfixable damage of bad power flow??other than this temp thing,how is your pc performing?

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
I think what folks are trying to point out is that your temp readings aren't meaningful if they aren't accurate. It's one thing to assume they are off by x degrees, but they could also be failing to measure anything directly related to actual temps. You stated that you fixed the CPU failure problem. Can we assume then that you are no longer crashing, or are you still experiencing heat related crashes?

If your temps really are getting worse, I'd suspect your AIO cooler pump is failing. Can you tell what the flow rate is? I know you said you believe it's working fine, but if you are experiencing over heating issues, then your cooler is not adequately removing excess heat. It is quite possible for a pump to be 'working hard' but not moving any coolant due to many types of internal failure.

The heat output of your CPU is going to be directly correlated with the amount of power it is consuming. You've lowered your CPUs maximum potential power consumption by lowering your frequencies. So there is no way your CPU is producing more heat. You cooler just isn't removing that heat.

michaelstocker240

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018
Yes I have checked the bios temps, they say very bad things. Just as the monitoring software on windows does. Worst case scenario: >80C under load and >50C when Idle. Multiple software report the same thing. Corsair link controls fan speeds for the radiator based on temperature of the CPU. The fans adjust accordingly and properly, but this unfortunately isn't enough to help.

michaelstocker240

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018
Like I said. The pipe leading away from the CPU is very hot, so the cooler is removing the heat. and the fans do their job to cool it. I am not experiencing any crashes any more. Just lower performance due to this heat, and it's only getting worse.

michaelstocker240

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018
As CPU's get old and used, they generate more heat due to insufficient power flow through the CPU itself, that's also why it is unfixable.

michaelstocker240

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018
The temps were accurate when I had windows 7, that I know for sure. I'm asking about this because I suspect Windows 10 is part of the problem, since it started causing crashes. But since all of my software says around the same reading of temperature and I can feel clearly that it is way hotter than usual. I think it's accurate enough to raise some suspicion.

michaelstocker240

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018
Please read my messages... I have already said that the fans are going at the right speed depending on the CPU temperature, most of the time they are running at max speed. My problem is about too HIGH of temperature, NOT too LOW temperature.

michaelstocker240

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018
Whether my temperatures reported are inaccurate... but my CPU IS HOTTER THAN USUAL! I have my PC next to me. I feel it MELTING MY FACE OFF. All i'm getting here is more questions that I already have the answer to.

Er wait, you said last year your temps. were 2c. You may have seen that on one monitor. You have to verify that with at least one more. https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor-pro.html and https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy are a couple monitors that I use. HwMonitor told me this one morning.
Hmmm.png
Let's see what Speccy has to say about that.
cold.png

If we get suspect information we have to question it.

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master is what I believe you should use. That 2c is indicative of brrrrrrrr or an error. I think those other monitors were showing the wrong temp.. It is now HOT. Let's make sure how hot with Ryzen's Master Utility. Intel and AMD read and display temps. differently. Please offer a screenshot.

michaelstocker240

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018
Alright, I put my CPU to it's normal clock speed. With nothing else open, simply opening chrome and downloading the software you linked me took my CPU to 70C according to HWMonitor. Under full load, this is the reading on HWMonitor:
sQ3G11D.png

I cannot launch AMD Ryzen Master as it says it doesn't support my CPU, after all I don't have a Ryzen. I also downloaded Speccy. The temps shown there were exactly the same as what is shown on HWMonitor.

My bad. You need to use AMD Overdrive.

And why is it at 100% load all the time. Let's look to HwMonitor again
load_vs_temp.png
It's fine that it's OC'd but never backing down during idle work isn't nice. How are your power settings both in BIOS and in Windows. I'd adjust those so that it isn't acting like a hyper-active tamanian devil all the time. When someone drives in the city they usually cruise at about 30mph here in the States. If someone is using a manual transmission it may be in 2nd or 3rd gear when traffic gets congested. When in 2nd or 3rd gear how much gas are we offering? A gentle pressure to the pedal or is the pedal touching the floorboard? When I'm gaming I will make some quick adjustments to Windows and to Nvidia's control panel. Because I want my system with a 1080 Ti to have all the power it needs. Right now typing this my PC is relaxing at 800MHz. That does help it to stay cool.

michaelstocker240

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018
I was testing the CPU at 100% using Prime95. 100% usage was intenstional, but it only needs to be running about 50% to reach 70C

:D

50% at 70c isn't good but it isn't dangerous either. Let u know how you progress. Make sure your voltages aren't too high. Sometimes the auto-voltage applied is too high for the user's liking. They may undervolt their CPU little by little while testing with Cinebench other some other CPU oriented stress(Prime95 26.6) and/ or benchmark program. O

While you may pass all the tests it's the real world gaming needs that needs to be tested. Gaming for about 30 minutes can help to ensure the system is stable as is. That's for others who may come by later on. You might start another thread here dedicated to the OC side of things. All relevant info and screenhots are always helpful.

michaelstocker240

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018
Whether the temp is dangerous or not, at normal clock speeds I reach up to 80C using 60% of my CPU. I game a lot on this system so the "deal with it" approach won't really work. Just a few months ago I could play overclocked at full load without exceeding 40C and having the fans super quite. There has been a MASSIVE change in performance the past few months. I assume buying new hardware is necessary. But I don't know what the problem is, my cooler? my CPU? Motherboard? could the PSU be faulty and cause damage to other components? The voltages seem within the normal range for the CPU. I'm asking what the cause might be so that I don't waste money buying replacement components when the current one is fine. So if anyone has an answer please say, otherwise i'll just have to experiment with it and find the problem the hard way :/

instead of getting pissy about the help people are trying to give you,why dont you actually give them some of the information they are asking for.you only seem to give your opinion as to what is wrong.if you were right,you wouldnt need this forumn.