Increasing GPU with a Shared Graphics memory (Really need your help)

jkm970

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
Hi everyone,

I recently have bought a laptop the laptop is an LG Ultra pc 15u340 laptop. Extremely thin and nice for the price. (loving everything but the gaming)
One thing im having a major issue is with playing games, especially my favourite league of legends. I would only get 30 -40 fps on low settings. I wanted to fix this and checked the model of the laptop but i found out that the graphics card is a 'shared' memory card.

The specs are:
CPU - 2.17ghz - Intel pentium Quad core N3530
Graphics card - Intel HD graphics (Shared memory)
Ram - 4gb

What i just want to know is 3 things!

1. If i increase the ram to 8gb will it improve the fps, due to the graphics card getting more memory since is a 'shared' card
2. Is there anyway possible to change the amount of shared memory so i can increase my gaming performance
3. If there is anything that would help me to increase my gaming experience could you please help me. Ive tried most things but i still think the main reason is because of the graphics card

Thanks guys for your time in reading this!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Solution
It looks like 2gb has been allocated to the igpu so adding ram will only help if you are short of system ram but if you were short of system you would not even get 30-40fps as the system would grind to a halt. My guess is adding extra ram will have little or no effect in the games you are currently playing, it might help more in other games which require more system ram.

Unfortunately the bottom line is this is not a gaming laptop and there is nothing you can do to make it significantly better.

Ra_V_en

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
1) No not really, IGPU is fairly low performance GPU, RAM is least thing to worry about here. Except the fact that shared memory is reserved for iGPU but not for system memory, putting more RAM will only give you more system memory.. furthermore read 2
2) Typically it can be adjusted in BIOS setting.. i never personally tested performance effect but i bet its negligible. If you cannot find any BIOS settings then you are out of luck.
3) There is not much you can do about it, there are Alienware GPU boxes on the market, but its rather brand solutions... nothing similar for any other laptops. The only way to get some serious gaming experience is just to get laptop with proper dedicated GPU like AMD or Nvidia.

jkm970

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015

1) Oh i just checked my advanced settings and it said
Total graphics memory available -
1792 mb
Dedicated memory - 32mb
System video memory - 0mb
Shared system memory - 1760mb
DAC type - Internal
Bios Information - Intel Video BIOS

I don't know if its true but i saw from another site (which i cannot seem to find) that increasing ram does increasing the gpu because of the more ram being shared from the gpu. Is this true? or even possible?

2) To get into the bios setting you have to press something when you start up your computer right?
3) so there is no possible way of increaing my fps :( even adding ram or some software anything, anything at all?

Thank you so much for you fast reply, and thank you for you time in reading this

It looks like 2gb has been allocated to the igpu so adding ram will only help if you are short of system ram but if you were short of system you would not even get 30-40fps as the system would grind to a halt. My guess is adding extra ram will have little or no effect in the games you are currently playing, it might help more in other games which require more system ram.

Unfortunately the bottom line is this is not a gaming laptop and there is nothing you can do to make it significantly better.

Solution

Ra_V_en

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014

Exactly.

You should try pressing F2 or delete button (or maybe other shown during first steps of booting) to enter BIOS.
So no its hardly possible to make that hardware work better in games, maybe some driver tweaking would help a little but thats it.

jkm970

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015

Hi thank you for your great answer!
I found the the recommended specs for the game i am playing
CPU Speed: 3 GHz processor
RAM: 2 GB of RAM (Windows Vista and 7 users should use 4 GB of RAM or more.)
Video Card: GeForce 8800 or equivalent video card (Dedicated GPU with 512MB+ Video Memory(VRAM))
Free Disk Space: 12 GB

Do you think i will have any chance in increasing fps with 8gb of ram?

thank you for you time again :)

You might get an extra couple of fps but you need to be realistic and manage your expectations. Just 4 extra fps is 10%+ in performance, I very much doubt you would see a 10% increase from extra ram given the description you have given. Integrated graphics are just no good for gaming.

Sep 12, 2019
Hi everyone,

I recently have bought a laptop the laptop is an LG Ultra pc 15u340 laptop. Extremely thin and nice for the price. (loving everything but the gaming)
One thing im having a major issue is with playing games, especially my favourite league of legends. I would only get 30 -40 fps on low settings. I wanted to fix this and checked the model of the laptop but i found out that the graphics card is a 'shared' memory card.

The specs are:
CPU - 2.17ghz - Intel pentium Quad core N3530
Ram - 4gb

What I just want to know is 3 things!

1. If I increase the ram to 8gb will it improve the fps, due to the graphics card getting more memory since is a 'shared' card
  2. Is there any way possible to change the amount of shared memory so i can increase my gaming performance
  3. If there is anything that would help me to increase my gaming experience could you please help me. I've tried most things but i still think the main reason is because of the graphics card

Thanks guys for your time in reading this!

Hi everyone,

One thing I'm having a major issue is with playing games, especially my favorite league of legends. I would only get 30 -40 fps on low settings. I wanted to fix this and checked the model of the laptop but I found out that the graphics card is a 'shared' memory card.

The specs are:
CPU - 2.17ghz - Intel Pentium Quad-core N3530
Ram - 4gb

What I just want to know is 3 things!

1. If I increase the ram to 8gb will it improve the fps, due to the graphics card getting more memory since is a 'shared' card
  2. Is there any way possible to change the amount of shared memory so I can increase my gaming performance
  3. If there is anything that would help me to increase my gaming experience could you please help me. I've tried most things but I still think the main reason is because of the graphics card

Thanks, guys for your time in reading this!

Hey dude My reply will be helpful I THINK
my specs are
Pentium Dual-Core2.1 Ghz4 GB DDR4 RAM
Graphics ram (Vram)128mb
(less than your's)
And you know one thing I can run Gtav in low graphics(without any low graphics mod) in 30-40 fps with mods. I think the answers recently got didn't help you. You can add your ram, Install external graphics card but all these methods are expensive but my way is tweaking.
I increased Vram 128 to 512mb
increased ram(page file to maximum hard disk space)
and done too many windows teaks like changing windows power plans, working all cores, etc...can increase your fps.
All you have to do is never stop tweaking. Search in youtube to "how to increase speed or anything like that. Search more.... add more teaks

TRENDING THREADS