Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Hi There

Current system -
MB - Asus P5k/EPU
Processor - Quad Core 9300
Graphics - Radeon HD6770
OS - Windows 7 (x64) Ultimate

I wanted to upgrade from 4gb RAM to 8gb RAM - the MB supports this.

Current & upgrade: I have 2 x 2 Corsair DDR2 800mhz RAM at present (no issues) in A1 and A2 (been working fine for 2 years). I added 2 x 2 Corsair DDR2 800mhz (exact same) to B1 and B2.

Issue: When booting, the fans turn and drives run, but 'no signal to monitors' and no beeps.

Bios indicates single channel memory. All components securely attached. When all 4 x 2 ram is inserted - no

Tried solutions:
Tested all 4 RAM chips (all 4 working)
Tested A1 & A2 (working)
Tested A1 & B1 (fail)
Tested A2 & B2 (fail)
Tested B1 & B2 (fail)
Reset CMOS (fail)
Updated to most recent BIOS (fail)
Changed DRAM setting from auto to 5-5-5-18 (as is on RAM chip itself) - (fail)
Plug out power discarge (fail)

I can't run voltage increase as yet because I cant access BIOS to make changes with 4 x 2 RAM in-situ as 'no signal to monitor' occurs.

Any suggestions would be very gratefull received.
Thanks
Az

Frankly for '2 years' the RAM has been installed in the wrong DIMM slots, and after 2 years of dust -- pff the B1/B2 slots should be cleaned. A couple ways: 1. High pressure air, 2. Isopropyl alcohol: dampen the RAM's contacts, insert, remove, clean -- repeat x2 per slot, remove and allow to dry ~5 minutes.

IF using the old (working) set fails as follows then your MOBO is the culprit:
CPU: | A1 | A2 | B1 | B2 |

CPU: | OLD | blank | OLD | blank | ; Tested A1 & B1 (fail) = MOBO problem ; NORMAL Dual Channel configuration

CPU: | OLD | blank | blank | blank | ; Single Channel
CPU: | blank | blank | OLD | blank | ; Single Channel

--

Normal Installation, even the same RAM -- after time uses different IC's and the following installation is highly recommended:
CPU: | OLD | NEW | OLD | NEW |
<or>
CPU: | NEW | OLD | NEW | OLD |

--

Since you said CPU: | OLD | OLD | blank | blank | worked, what about CPU: | NEW| NEW| blank | blank |? This is to see if the NEW RAM is good.

azura25

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Hi Jaquith

Thanks for this.

Yep I know the 2 year config is wrong now (educating myself as I go along) - the PC was built for me.

Yes the - CPU: | NEW| NEW| blank | blank | config worked, as did the various connotations of mixing the old and new in A1 and A2.

However anything in the B1 or B2 slots is causing a fail.

Could you point me in the direction or help me with this:

'dampen the RAM's contacts, insert, remove, clean -- repeat x2 per slot, remove and allow to dry ~5 minutes.' By RAM contact do you mean the DIMM slots itself, or the edge of the RAM chips itself?

Thanks very much for your help.

Az

azura25

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
ok

Cleaned both the DIMM slots with air, cleaned the RAM connectors, made sure the onboard speaker was in and powered.

Still fails, no beep ones from the onboard speaker - Asus indicates that the board should be seen by the manufacturer - at this stage in its life thats not going to happen.

Looks as if it is a fault on the Mobo, however before i start looking at a new Mobo and processor - any final solutions anyone can think of?

Thanks again

Az

Unplug the power cable and take the battery out for 30 minutes. Then put the battery back in and plug the cable back in.

Sometime in that 30 minutes, push hard on the RAM. Not so hard you think you will snap it and not at an angle, just firmly and straight down. If the clamps reach up and grab the RAM that doesn't mean its all the way in.

They can handle a good bit of force so push till you are confident it doesn't go in more.

See if that does anything.

Final Conclusions - 1. MOBO - I've seen this enough times. ; 2. Short - Aftermarket HSF with metal to MOBO contact and/or Standoff's causing a grounding short. Some cases have 'punch-outs' and not the thin screw type. ; 3. Bent CPU pins - this can cause a Channel to drop-out.