INCREDIBLE CASE, INCREDIBLE DEAL!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
<A HREF="http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=5U-SERVER-N&cat=CAS" target="_new">Good looking "5U" server tower with 6-bay SCA rack for $120</A>

Think about this one, 120mm fans, good looks, supports 6 of those inexpensive used 80-pin drives via drive rack, to connect to a 68-pin SCSI connection.

If you look around you'll find 15,000 RPM 36GB SCA drives for around $30 each! Imagine 6 of those in RAID 5! Imagine mind blowing performance, priced similarly to a cheaper 36GBx6 Raptor solution, but with 3x the capacity, hot-swappable redundancy!

Yeh, a lot of you guys fear SCSI, others don't think it's worth your time, but you can't ignore the practice many companies use of dumping 5 year 15k RPM drives after 3 years, flooding the market with super-fast SCA drives (80-pin) most people don't want (because of the interface).

Consider this: The price of this case is similar to the price of 6 SCA to U160 adapter cards. So it's like you're paying for the drive rack and getting the case FREE!

What's that I see on the back, REDUNDANT POWER? Oh my, if you guys REALLY wanted a 1337 "Gawd Box", this would be a great place to start.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
58 lbs. That is a monster. Im the one that is building a system that is very close to what you have. At least so far. Wouldnt this be overkill for me, or would it be the way to go? Deciding on the case and PSU has become my biggest headache so far!

Intel P4 3.0E
SOYO Dragon 2 ver 1 black label

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd probably go with that case if I had the money. I have this 3-channel controller, but no money for the drives, let alone the case. I get my hard drives free.

One company that regularly carries 36GB SCA drives for good prices is <A HREF="http://www.surpluscomputers.com" target="_new">http://www.surpluscomputers.com</A> 5 or 6 SCA drives would be IDEAL for performance, RAID 5 has redundance so I'd probably pick up 1 or 2 spare drives in case of a drive failure and have all the redundance I'd need.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
Hell, I'd go with the case if I had the need along with the cash..

It is an awesome deal, too bad they dont take trade ins.

Xrock

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
Too heavy, too big, too expensive for me. I'm much cheaper than that. I rather have modern 250gig hardrive with plenty of storage than SCSI drive, even though SCSI is faster.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Crashman, I just had a power supply faliure to occur in my old P3 550. This was a good thing, because now I know first hand how important the PSU is when it comes to performance! The PSU in this 1999 model was a blazing 145W's on a good day. I replaced it with a spare 350W PSU. The few benchmarks that I have had time to run are blowing the old numbers away. Im seeing increases in performance with memory and Hard drives. I guess that it had been slowly dying from overload for some time now. Now getting back to this case and PSU. I think I understand how the redundunt power supply would be a great thing to have, but this one is 300 + 300. Wouldnt that actually double my chances of a major system FUBAR if I am exceeding the demands of one 300W PSU. In other words if one PSU did fail, wouldnt I run some type of risk now that I would be exceeding the output of the one good 300w PSU? I am probably overthinking this as I do most things. I like the idea of two PSU's, I just wanted to make sure that I wasnt going to increase the possiblity of frying other parts. All together, I can see this project hitting the $1200 - $1400 range. I dont mind spending the money, I just want to get it right the first time!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
These are server power supplies, so they probably have the capability of 300W continuous, rather than peak, power. That's a lot of power, more than most systems use.

But you could always put a standard PC power supply in if you wanted to come up with a mounting bracket.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ah, but imagine the low latencies of 15k RPM drives, and the sustained speeds of 5 or 6 of them in RAID 5.

Randel

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
You're dreaming if you think you can find a 36GB 15000 RPM harddrive for $30 USD. Prove me wrong by providing links to places that have it for that price. Otherwise, I'd say that you made a mistake somewhere.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All you have to do is <A HREF="http://www.surpluscomputers.com/hdwstorage.html" target="_new">Go Here And Wait!</A> This company had a bunch of 10,000RPM drives for $20 and 15,000RPM drives for $30 a few months ago. They base their prices on how many they have in stock, so when they make a huge purchase, they cut their prices in half. How do they get them so cheap? They probably salvage server farms from dead companies.