[SOLVED] Incredibly slow access time to NAS , Unreliable

xfile102

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
I have have an office where they are having a lot of connection issues with the Synology NAS. We have tried to setup things for optimal performance, but we apparently have a lot of work to do. There are 3 PC's in the office.

Everything is hardwired to the router in the office through a 6 port Netgear switch, including a Synology DS216 NAS.

Regularly, it will take several attempts to connect to the NAS, or they have to wait up to 30 Seconds for it to respond. The DSM shows the disks are in great condition, no issues there. They use the NAS frequently to access 2 databases stored on it.

I need to find the fastest most reliable option for these systems to access these DB's.
Recommendations to improve this?

Solution
Any specific error messages or pop up windows when connections fail and/or are slow?

Current DSM version?

How is the NAS configured (drives, memory, etc.?)

What specific things did you do to setup for optimal performance?

Start with another another known working Ethernet cable between NAS and its' immediate connection to the network. Which is the Netgear switch if I follow correctly.

If performance does not improve then swap in a known working cable for the next line of connectivity. E.g., between Netgear switch and router.

If possible try a direct Ethernet connection between NAS and router. At least to test.

Is the NAS using a Static IP address that is outside of the router's allowed DHCP IP address range and is that...

Ralston18

Titan
Any specific error messages or pop up windows when connections fail and/or are slow?

Current DSM version?

How is the NAS configured (drives, memory, etc.?)

What specific things did you do to setup for optimal performance?

Start with another another known working Ethernet cable between NAS and its' immediate connection to the network. Which is the Netgear switch if I follow correctly.

If performance does not improve then swap in a known working cable for the next line of connectivity. E.g., between Netgear switch and router.

If possible try a direct Ethernet connection between NAS and router. At least to test.

Is the NAS using a Static IP address that is outside of the router's allowed DHCP IP address range and is that Static IP address reserved for the NAS via the NAS's MAC?

Does the following link present the applicable NAS Hardware Installation Guide?

https://global.download.synology.co...8.1094083830.1618594231-1338300005.1618594231

Solution
I would also check the versions of smb protocols enabled on the ds216. If you have multiple enabled on both the synology and the windows clients, there's a lot of time wasted in negotiating the version number. (It always surprises me how much faster my xp and linux clients connect to my synologies than win7+.)

Another thing to do is run nastester 1.7:
http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance

If you have a single drive setup, you should be able to see nearly 100MB/s with the right drive/ssd installed. Raid 0 and 1 should have similar performance on reading with a possible slowdown on raid 1.

I had an ethernet controller chip die on my Synology NAS. Connection would go out intermittently and got progressively worse over time.

I'd recommend you install as USB to Gigabit ethernet dongle onto the NAS to see if connection improves.

Does the NAS have 2 ethernet ports, or just 1?

I had an ethernet controller chip die on my Synology NAS. Connection would go out intermittently and got progressively worse over time.

I'd recommend you install as USB to Gigabit ethernet dongle onto the NAS to see if connection improves.

Does the NAS have 2 ethernet ports, or just 1?
Wow, that's surprising--must have overheated. That's why I always set my fans on nas units to 100% if possible.

TRENDING THREADS