incredibly slow network

Squidmaster

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
I recently setup a LAN between two comps at a friend's house using an SMC1211TX card (came with one comp) and a new Realtek RTL8139 with a crossover CAT5 cable. The network allows access as it should and performs in LAN games adequately (showing 0 ping!), but transferring files is unbearably slow (about the same speed as a 26.4 modem connection.) What can I do to get this working right? I'll be happy to list more detailed network specs as needed.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
why would you use ftp on a lan? try changing to half duplex, some combinations dont do well at full.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

Squidmaster

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
One system is XP, the other ME, and the only pings I've checked are in games, which give 0's or 1's. Where can I check ping in Windows, anyway?

casiowatch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
in windowsXP type in run: cmd (to go to command). Then type: ping <ip address of computer you want to reach>

-----
<b>All the world's problems can be solved through COMMON SENSE<b>

Squidmaster

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
It turns out the SMC card is the guilty partner here. After attaching a 3rd system recently to the network, communications are fine as long as the comp with the SMC card is avoided. It's an old card, so presumably it just needs to be replaced. I tried the traditional uninstall/reinstall the card and TCP/IP settings before coming to this conclusion.

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Click the start button, then select the "RUN" menu item. Type "regedit", without the " marks. The smart thing to do would be to first backup the registry, by selecting from the dropdown list, Registry --> Export registry file. Now, navigate to this registry branch.

MyComputer/HKEY_Local_Machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows
/CurrentVersion/Explorer/RemoteComputer/Namespace/.

Once you are there, you will see two entries. One starts with {2227A280-....).. Delete the other one! You should notice much faster network browsing & performance. A reboot is not needed for the change to take effect.

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

I amd innocent intel proven guilty