Index checking fail - wd raptor HD

quaggo

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
Hello,

Today my Raptor Hard Drive isn't accessible in windows 7, but the bios sees it just fine. During boot windows detects inconsistencies with the drive and it performs a checkdisk. During Phase 2 of 3, it does an index check. The index scan always hangs at 64% completion and the hd begins an audible pattern of clicks that loops over and over. SMART check fails with WD data lifeguard tools, currently doing a DLGDIAG extended test with the same tools..any ideas on how to repair the indexes?

quaggo

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
Update: WD datalife tools found bad sectors on the extended test and failed to repair them. Sounds like the HD is toast..unless someone has some ideas? The drive is about 3.5 years old, still within the 5 year warranty from WD.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Here is an article from the MS Knowledge Base on Chkdsk and the pass 2 Indexes, that might be of help.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187941

Did you come up with any useful information with the WD test utilities, or data from a S.M.A.R.T. utlity that could indicate the disk is failing?

DaTank

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
I just had this same issue with my 150g raptors I am trying to figure out if it would be worth it to rma it or just get some new cav. balcks and put them in a raid 0 what do yall think old school raptors vs cav. blacks in a raid 0

quaggo

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
So does anyone know of some good data recovery tools I can use to extract a few files from this hard drive? All I REALLY care about is like 4 files that I could search for manually by name if I can pick through the drives' remains.