IndieCade 2012 is Proof Positive that Games Are Art

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
The reason why I feel that games are art is simple: because they declare a lot of crappy stuff in the name of art. There's not a high barrier of entry into the world outside a bunch of pretentious blowhards that are in charge of what is and is not called art

Azimuth01

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
I've always believed games are a form of art. The people who build these virtual worlds use creative vision that employs aspects of every art from imaginable. Music, modern design, classical Renascence paintings, fashion...every form of artistic vision has a foothold in game design.

With that said, I cant understand for the life of me why rigid business men in suits and ties with loyalties to stockholders and their board of directors are making artistic decisions. These same people then wonder why their stock prices are going through the floor (EA?).

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Depending on your viewpoint, everything is art, videogames are no different
Just like painting, for every Van Gogh, there is a worthless scrawl and it's good to see EA sitting at the scrawl end whilst the unknown Indie guys are boshing out a "Sunflowers" for future generations

bearracuda

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
[citation][nom]bigdog44[/nom]Art is in the eye of the beholder. Hopefully these indie guys arent afraid of bullies.[/citation]

I'm sure they can take it. There are a couple of things you need to be indie. You need backbone, to fight through a disorganized and rocky development process, where you're not sure you'll have the same guys working with you each day. You need to have guts, to keep going even when everyone says you're an idiot and you're wasting your time. And more than all that, you need passion. You need to love the games and the gamers more than anything else in the world. That's why indie devs can churn out innovation and creativity the way they do.

They really only have 1 person to answer to: the player. And that's the way it should be.

G

Japan has had something like this for awhile now. They call it Comiket. It is a semi-yearly event held in Tokyo that attracts over 600k visitors over the course of three days. Last summer they held Comiket 82. Granted, the focus is on manga and music, but there a quite a few indie game developers there as well. I've been following Comiket since C70 and I've seen several interesting titles released during Comiket (ex. Recettear: An Item Shop’s Tale was released during C73).

Anyways, check it out if it sounds interesting to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.