News Indonesia gov ransomware chaos may be over after hack group apologizes and says it has shared decrypt keys

OLDKnerd

BANNED
Jun 12, 2024
Well i am not the backing up kind of guy, but then again i don't really have anything to loose but the time it take to format and reinstall system.
On a gooberment level seeing as Denmark are one of the most digitized countries in the world, i am extremely worried CUZ i have not in my 60 years of living seen my gooberment make a WIN on anything digital.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Subtext:
The Indonesian government found out who they were, went to their house, and threatened to break various parts of their bodies until they coughed up the decryption keys.
Pretty much what I thought, except that I'd guess they're based in a different country and Indonesia reached out to the host country to put the squeeze on the group.

If they were dumb enough to actually be within direct reach of the Indonesian government, then we'd be hearing about a police raid and not a diplomatic-sounding announcement put out by them. So, that tells me they're operating in a country with tacit approval of their activities by the government, except when they put a toe across the wrong political boundary.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
This story makes no sense to me whatsoever. Whoever hacked the Indon government for the purpose of making money I believe, had the perfect opportunity to do just that because they have no backup. Instead they apologized to the government and gave them the decryption key. Wow. Makes me wonder if this is all staged...

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
This story makes no sense to me whatsoever. Whoever hacked the Indon government for the purpose of making money I believe, had the perfect opportunity to do just that because they have no backup. Instead they apologized to the government and gave them the decryption key. Wow. Makes me wonder if this is all staged...
A lot of hacking groups operate in certain countries where they have the tacit permission by their government. If Indonesia figured out where the hackers are located and contacted that government, they could've threatened to shut down the hackers. To me, that seems like a more plausible explanation for the climb-down.