Review Ineo M9 SSD Heatsink and Cooler Review: Strong performance, interesting design

PlutoDelic

Distinguished
May 31, 2005
Honestly, if Gen5 will take off, it's either with good cooling or figuring out efficiency, and i'm betting more on the former.

With that said, have you gotten your hands on that AIO SSD cooler yet? I have no clue why they're not selling it. It's niche, but it begs for a second life to the exhaust fan.

Reactions: Albert.Thomas

Albert.Thomas

Respectable
Staff member
Aug 10, 2022
With that said, have you gotten your hands on that AIO SSD cooler yet? I have no clue why they're not selling it. It's niche, but it begs for a second life to the exhaust fan.
It's been "coming soon" for about a year now. I'm starting to wonder if it's going to become vaporware.

Notton

Commendable
Dec 29, 2023
Are there any chances of getting Thermalright HR-09/Pro, HR-10/Pro for review?

They looked promising, unlike the sagging heatpipe and doesn't fit dimensions of the M9.

Reactions: Albert.Thomas

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
I wouldn't worry about the heatpipe bending slightly, during shipping. That amount of bending + correcting it shouldn't be an issue.

I can't imagine it would bend, once installed. If you hit it hard enough to bend it after mounting, it's probably better the heatpipe absorb that force rather than transmit it down to the motherboard. The swiveling should also help, there.

What slightly bothers me about this is the"swivel" feature. As neat as it is, that seems like it'd hurt the ability of the heat pipe to absorb heat from the SSD. Then again, it does seem like a little bit overkill for the dozen or so Watts a M.2 drive is allowed to burn.

I'm still hoping to see the Thermalright M.2 2280 PRO on here as it seems like it might be a low profile/low cost winner. After having one installed for over a month it's still slightly better than the Thermalright AB I had installed before, but less than it originally was. I think this is due to it being installed on an Optane drive which is running the OS so I'd be really curious how it handles normal loads.

All of the current coolers on the list that can handle the PCIe 5.0 drives are taller and/or have active cooling so I doubt it would go that far, but should handle the PCIe 4.0.

I'd really like to know if the built-in heatsink provided by the m/b was tested. A lot of them give you a heatsink that might even tie in to active cooling connected to the chipset/VRM cooling. So it would be nice to know if the basic heatsink that might already come w/your board gets you close to the temps shown here.

I'd really like to know if the built-in heatsink provided by the m/b was tested. A lot of them give you a heatsink that might even tie in to active cooling connected to the chipset/VRM cooling. So it would be nice to know if the basic heatsink that might already come w/your board gets you close to the temps shown here.
The problem with testing like that is they vary massively from board to board. Some are undoubtedly good enough to cool PCIe 5.0 drives under maximum load while others might not manage PCIe 4.0.

Generally speaking though unless you have some very heavy storage workloads pretty any heatsink ought to be good enough (some motherboard/aftermarket don't properly cool double sided should you happen to have one so this is something to keep an eye on).

The problem with testing like that is they vary massively from board to board. Some are undoubtedly good enough to cool PCIe 5.0 drives under maximum load while others might not manage PCIe 4.0.

Generally speaking though unless you have some very heavy storage workloads pretty any heatsink ought to be good enough (some motherboard/aftermarket don't properly cool double sided should you happen to have one so this is something to keep an eye on).
Could be a good test of a number of the new 870 boards coming on the market. Take a collection of models from Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, and ASRock - see where the "average" temps range for their default setup. Maybe that would also help standardize the minimum level of heatsink those boards should provide.

I know PCIe 5.0 SSDs can generate more heat, but it seemed like you'd need to go up to server-class SSDs before you started to get enough heat to overwhelm the heatsink provided on most boards.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
I know PCIe 5.0 SSDs can generate more heat, but it seemed like you'd need to go up to server-class SSDs before you started to get enough heat to overwhelm the heatsink provided on most boards.
I think it depends a lot on how good the thermal interface material is, how much airflow is reaching it, and whether the SSD is double-sided. If some of those factors are working against you, I could certainly imagine a SSD cooking under the motherboard-provided heatsink.

On the contrary, if your drive is single-sided and the thermal interface material is decent, then even a basic heatsink should be adequate with enough airflow.

Albert.Thomas

Respectable
Staff member
Aug 10, 2022
Unfortunately, this system's motherboard heatsinks are single-sided - so it throttles if the underside is stressed.

Reactions: bit_user

TRENDING THREADS