infected rabbits

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Could someone please advise me of how I should best dispose of the shot
carcases of diseased rabbits (mixy) - I'm assuming one would be ill-advised
to eat them!

Many thanks

HonestJim

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

honestjim wrote:
> Could someone please advise me of how I should best dispose of the shot
> carcases of diseased rabbits (mixy) - I'm assuming one would be ill-advised
> to eat them!
>
> Many thanks
>
> HonestJim

"Mixy" can not be transmitted to other animals (human or dog), nor can a
flea free carcass transmit the virus, however I could not stomach such a
meal.

Your best off leaving them for the foxes, however a percentage of
rabbits will make a full recovery and then as time goes on the
population can and do build a tollerence to the virus.
Now and then I'll train a new dog on such rabbits, it give the dog that
"confidence" thats so hard to install.
Failing anything else, simply bury them.

John

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

The message <d45mu2$ohn$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>
from honestjim <honestjimjakes@hotmail.com> contains these words:

> Could someone please advise me of how I should best dispose of the shot
> carcases of diseased rabbits (mixy) - I'm assuming one would be ill-advised
> to eat them!

Just kick them down an available rabbit hole.

Always check the liver of shot rabbits for signs of the disease. If the
liver is clean and unblemished, it's okay to eat. But no matter how
clean and healthy the rabbit looks externally, if the liver has white or
grey lesions, or any other form of obvious deformity, you'd be best to
just bin it.

Mature bucks and does are both very active just now and neither are
worth eating. But young coneys, stewed slowly in a reduced chicken
stock, would make a meal fit for a king.

Or grilled...

Or even marinated in light Soy sauce and roasted...

--
Kim Sawyer
Sutherland

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Kim Sawyer <ksawyer@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in

> The message <d45mu2$ohn$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>
> from honestjim <honestjimjakes@hotmail.com> contains these words:
>
>> Could someone please advise me of how I should best dispose of the
>> shot carcases of diseased rabbits (mixy) - I'm assuming one would be
>> ill-advised to eat them!
>
> Just kick them down an available rabbit hole.

And a perfectly legal method of disposal of a dead wild animal.

Now if was a pet rabbit, or a farmed rabbit, that is a completely different
kettle of fish (speaking in the purely figurative sense)! :(

If the latter, you would probably have to arrange for the local licenced
knacker to call and collect and then pay him the appropriate fee! He would
then remove said cadaver to his licenced premises and arrange for it to be
incinerated at the correct temperature.

If the former, I suspect you'd need an affidavit from a suitably qualified
lawyer stating that said animal was a bona fide pet, together with a
supporting letter from your vet and another from the local minister of
religion, JP, doctor, or person of equivalent standing in the community,
before disposal by burying, e.g. as suggested by kicking it down a rabbit
hole. But you would need to ensure that the rabbit hole is not in close
proximity to any water course which the corpse might tend to pollute. I
hope all that is quite clear. There's more, but having thought about it --
what you really need is a lawyer.

Ah, the delights of the Animal By-Products Regulations!!<vbg>

Derry

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

????? Why Kick rabbit down hole ...

The message <4268f848$0$279$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>
from "SimonSX" <Simonuk_behappy@yahoo.co.uk> contains these words:

> ????? Why Kick rabbit down hole ...

Why not? What else can you do with it?

--
Kim Sawyer
Sutherland

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

SimonSX wrote:
> ????? Why Kick rabbit down hole ...

Coz after you shot it, the little ah heck won't get down there on his own
accord!

John