[SOLVED] Infecton/Hardware or both?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stuch_flex

Reputable
Aug 4, 2016
My pc wont boot in any mode and i cant recover or reinstall windows.
It started a few months ago when i started recieving bsod's and uninstalling chrome fixed the issue when i would click on the file to reinstall chrome i would get more bsod, i recently got a few more random bsod's and today i had strange ping spikes so i checked my processes and found a few suspects, one being called start.exe. At the same time ive been recieving russian verification emails for EA.

I have Malwarebytes Pro, Spybot and windows defender with nothing major popping up. But today i installed avast pro and it wanted me to restart my pc to finalize the scan and it gave me another bsod and now i cant boot im safe, reinstall windows or recover.. all lead to a bsod.

I might be wrong but it feels like im being stopped from loading chrome and/or stopped from using virus software.

Last edited:
Solution
Ok, so I updated from the opening 2017 to the 2018 BIOS, took me a while but figured it out with the app.
I also found somewhere that people with the errors I was getting:
0x00000124
hal.dll+47fe8
ntoskrnl.exe+463ce0
PSHED.dll+1920
they had luck with updating the BIOS.

So far so good, steam has been restarted 3/4 times, I now need to do a CPU benchmark I guess to see if it still happens?

stuch_flex

Reputable
Aug 4, 2016
Ok, so I updated from the opening 2017 to the 2018 BIOS, took me a while but figured it out with the app.
I also found somewhere that people with the errors I was getting:
0x00000124
hal.dll+47fe8
ntoskrnl.exe+463ce0
PSHED.dll+1920
they had luck with updating the BIOS.

So far so good, steam has been restarted 3/4 times, I now need to do a CPU benchmark I guess to see if it still happens?

Solution
Never used it, but from what I have read, it is an extremely fast benchmark, so it probably is only going to make the most problematic systems to the point of crashing. The good part about 3DMark and PCMark is that they run for quite a while, giving your system a good workout while providing you with a system score/ranking.

stuch_flex

Reputable
Aug 4, 2016
Been running it for a few days now with no problems, decided to go ahead and install Avast and managed to fully install without a bluescreen so im guessing my problem is fixed. Just before xmas :)