[SOLVED] Infecton/Hardware or both?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stuch_flex

Reputable
Aug 4, 2016
My pc wont boot in any mode and i cant recover or reinstall windows.
It started a few months ago when i started recieving bsod's and uninstalling chrome fixed the issue when i would click on the file to reinstall chrome i would get more bsod, i recently got a few more random bsod's and today i had strange ping spikes so i checked my processes and found a few suspects, one being called start.exe. At the same time ive been recieving russian verification emails for EA.

I have Malwarebytes Pro, Spybot and windows defender with nothing major popping up. But today i installed avast pro and it wanted me to restart my pc to finalize the scan and it gave me another bsod and now i cant boot im safe, reinstall windows or recover.. all lead to a bsod.

I might be wrong but it feels like im being stopped from loading chrome and/or stopped from using virus software.

Last edited:
Solution
Ok, so I updated from the opening 2017 to the 2018 BIOS, took me a while but figured it out with the app.
I also found somewhere that people with the errors I was getting:
0x00000124
hal.dll+47fe8
ntoskrnl.exe+463ce0
PSHED.dll+1920
they had luck with updating the BIOS.

So far so good, steam has been restarted 3/4 times, I now need to do a CPU benchmark I guess to see if it still happens?

stuch_flex

Reputable
Aug 4, 2016
Defender is fine to have on, or off if you go to another AV. And the worries are normal after the issues mentioned in your first post. They will subside.
Ok, well last thing, windows defender isn't on, Malewarebytes is, when I load windows I can use win defender until I start a scan and it stops halfway and closes and says ''malewarebytes is turned on''.
I should be able to scan with defender and have Malwarebytes on at the same time correct? I used to scan with both at the same time.

stuch_flex

Reputable
Aug 4, 2016
Ok, well last thing, windows defender isn't on, Malewarebytes is, when I load windows I can use win defender until I start a scan and it stops halfway and closes and says ''malewarebytes is turned on''.
I should be able to scan with defender and have Malwarebytes on at the same time correct? I used to scan with both at the same time.
While waiting for your reply I found a button that turned it on 'windows defender antivirus options, periodic scanning', turned it on and now I can see win def.
I noticed the offline scan so tried it out, it stopped at 95% and restarted windows, in my event viewer it says
''Windows Defender Antivirus Configuration has changed. If this is an unexpected event you should review the settings as this may be the result of malware.
Old value: N/A\Scan\OfflineScanRun =
New value: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scan\OfflineScanRun = 0x0''
All 3 of my previous scans say
''Windows Defender Antivirus scan has been stopped before completion.
Scan ID: {8039E40D-450D-4F33-992D-131E780CF294}
Scan Type: Antimalware
Scan Parameters: Quick Scan
User: DESKTOP-8S4FCV7\stuch''
This isn't normal?

So i done one pass on the RAM and no problems, i done a diag of the ssd and no problems.

While i was talking to you last night i looked into some fixes on why avast was giving me bsod on requested reboot to fix vulnerabilities and the two things i tried came back with the same message...
"System detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application".

Is it not strange that avast said i was vulnerable to ransomware and fake programs?

Avast is just saying you are vulnerable. If you had a ransomware you would know pretty quick. All your files would be encrypted and you would see a big window pop up with a nice message like "All your files are now inaccessible. Please pay us 500 dollars and we will send you a code to get your files back".

Um, no. The OS is still on the SSD. It has a couple files that the the OS will look at for a millisecond at boot time. After that it's all the SSD. Tell he how it will "destabilize" his system.
Windows may not look for the System Partition on a disc other than the designated primary boot disc. Further, the OP may want to reinstall windows 10 on hi ssd, and the installer could create a second System Partition. Or, if the OP decides to re-partition his hdd, he may inadvertently delete the System Partition. The point being there are numerous instances of people with the same issue asking for help on the internet and not once has anyone suggested they just leave it that way.

stuch_flex

Reputable
Aug 4, 2016
Hey Ketchup79, been a while as im in a holiday home in the middle of a house move, while I was here I done a live connect with a windows tech and found there is a problem with my cooler and/or the voltage levels which is giving me the random bsod's so I should have that fixed over the next week or 2 if all goes well, thanks for the help you gave me.

While I am here im having a new problem lmao, my wireless signal starts getting worse and then disconnects until I remove my wireless adapter and replug it in, it can happen in 60 seconds or it can happen over 30 mins, any ideas whats causing this? I was thinking its the internet here as its shared ect but it sorts itself out if I replug the adapter in.

What's the adapter? I have had a few in which driver updates sorted things out. However, in this is the same computer giving you incorrect voltages, that could be the cause of the problem to. How did the tech come to the realization that your voltages were off?

stuch_flex

Reputable
Aug 4, 2016
A mix of a few things, for starters the stop code 'whea uncorrectable error', Also told him about my watercooler that malfunctioned since day one of owning it (it randomly switches off and I have to restart the pc to turn it back on), he then said it might be the load on the cpu or sumin, so he done a cpu stress test and it bsod the moment he started the stress test. I have no idea how its the reason I cant install Avast or Chrome but he said its likely the load when installing is causing it?
I don't want to buy a new cooler and it still to happen, he also said it could be the psu but I believe my psu is good, never used to have problems with it.
Is there anything I can try that you know of?

Its strange that I can play all sorts of games with no problem tho.

stuch_flex

Reputable
Aug 4, 2016
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-8S4FCV7
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model X299 AORUS Gaming 3
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Default string
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F4, 04/06/2017
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product X299 AORUS Gaming 3-CF
BaseBoard Version x.x
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.18362.387"
Username DESKTOP-8S4FCV7\stuch
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.7 GB
Available Physical Memory 27.4 GB
Total Virtual Memory 36.5 GB
Available Virtual Memory 30.8 GB
Page File Space 4.75 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualisation-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and the device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA-capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

nvidia gefore 1060 3gb
Samsung 960 pro 500gb

Last edited:

stuch_flex

Reputable
Aug 4, 2016
"The cooler is Cooler Master " that doesn't help, as I have no idea what model that could be. Depending on the size/ type of the cooler, no spinning fan could be anything from minor inconvenience to disaster waiting to happen.
Sorry man, took a bit of work but I think I found it, MasterFan Pro 120 AB 650-2500rpm

stuch_flex

Reputable
Aug 4, 2016
OK, I don't think we are on the same page here. The MasterFan Pro 120 AB is a fan only.

What is cooling your CPU: a heatsink with fan? A water cooler? Did you buy it or build it? If you bought it, does the computer have a brand/model number?
Im sorry man, im pretty <Mod Edit> at this stuff.
Without taking the whole thing apart I don't think I can find out, right now all I know is a bought a cooler master water cooler.
The fans that turn off are the exhaust fans on the back, which have thick wires coming out linked to the Cooler Master on the heatsink.
I feel so useless sorry man.

Last edited by a moderator:

stuch_flex

Reputable
Aug 4, 2016
Well, finaly moved to the new house and turned my pc on, now it beeps 5 times and the monitor wont display anything.
Its 5 short beeps.
ok, so I think this might of been a loose ram from the moving the pc ;) seems sorted for now.
Still getting bsod when I load steam ect. gunna have a friend take it apart to have a look at it and il report back in a week o/

stuch_flex

Reputable
Aug 4, 2016
Hey Ketchup, dunno if youre still around, I managed to move into the new home, internet installed ect.
I fully disassembled my pc and cleaned it and gave the cpu/gpu new paste, I set the pc back up and loaded steam and it still gives the same error WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE.
My motherboard is a X299 AORUS Gaming 3-CF, im having problems finding the update for the BIOS and/or firmware, could i get some assistance in finding the correct download please as i was lead to believe the voltages might be incorrect.