Oct 1, 2020
Infinite Boot Loop after running Driver Verifier, can't get into Advanced Startup/WinRE/BIOS. Out of options

I did look around here and elsewhere, but I was unable to find anything of help to me.

In short, my computer is stuck in a boot loop, and I am unable to reach anything: Advanced Startup options, Windows Repair Environment, or the BIOS. Nothing. I will start from the beginning below.

The beginning:
To diagnose blue screen errors I've been getting on my Windows 10 machine, I decided yesterday to run Driver Verifier after I read on a Microsoft forum that is a way to diagnose bad drivers. I set it to run upon restart, and after restarting my computer, it immediately blue screened with the message "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTION_VIOLATION", which was fine since it seemed to find a bad driver, which I was expecting. After this message it restarted again, and I was brought to a blue Windows menu where the options were "Restart" and "Advanced options". I clicked Restart, since it looked like Windows was recommending that option and it seemed like the appropriate one to choose (even though I know now I should have opted to safe mode/command prompt and disabled Driver Verifier).

After this, the computer restarted, and upon booting after about 8 seconds the computer turns off and immediately turns on again. After about 8 seconds, it does the same, turns off and turns on again. And it keeps doing this, and keeps doing it, infinitely. All I see are the computer's lights flashing on, nothing shows up on the monitor. It does this forever and never boots to any menu or anything.

I've tried to mash F12 (which I know 100% is my BIOS key) to no avail, I've tried force shutting down by holding the power button in 3 times, I've unplugged the computer and held the power button down at length. I can turn it off, but the minute I turn it back on it continuously boot loops just as before. I'd like to boot from a USB with a Windows 10 image on it to access Repair options but since I can't get into the BIOS to change the boot location I can't seem to do that either. I've even tried disconnecting my SSD where Windows is installed but it STILL BOOT LOOPS. I don't know what to do at this point but obviously it's frustrating as hell since I can't access my computer, and I have no idea how to deal with what is going on.

So in short, how can I stop this boot loop so I can get into any sort of menu that can help me disable Driver Verifier or restore from a point?

If I left out some obvious stuff I apologize and will get that info to you tomorrow, I have to go to bed for now but I will reply soon. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please include your system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

See if removing the CMOS battery and replacing it after 15 minutes changes the issue.

You might want to bite the bullet here, learn from your mistake, and reinstall the OS using Windows Media Creation Tools to create your bootable installer.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please include your system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

See if removing the CMOS battery and replacing it after 15 minutes changes the issue.

You might want to bite the bullet here, learn from your mistake, and reinstall the OS using Windows Media Creation Tools to create your bootable installer.

Solution