Infinite restart loop - Cannot even boot from windows recovery CD

HAMiiSH

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
First, relevant specs:
Asus P8Z77-V Pro mobo
Kingston 240 GB SSD (OS drive)
WD black 1 TB HDD (storage drive)

Yesterday my PC froze and upon restarting I was shown the message "reboot and select proper boot device". I went into the BIOS made sure that my boot order was correct and it was so I restarted. This put mp PC into a continuous loop of restarting.

I have tried the following solutions:

1. Removed every non essential component attached including GPUs and storage drive

2. Loaded optimised defaults in BIOS

3. Removed and replaced CMOS battery

4. Flashed the BIOS to the newest version

5. Reseated every power connector in the PC

I figured that a reinstall of windows would be the solution. However I cannot even boot from the Win 7 install CD in the optical drive due to the restarting loop.

Does anyone have any suggested solutions?

Thanks

HAMiiSH

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012

I cant run the mem86 program as I cannot boot from any drive, no matter what position in the boot order. This also applies to the cd drive when trying to load the win7 disk.

I have also tried using each of my two ram sticks in the primary slot on its own. This was unsuccessful and the very low likelihood of both stick failing at the exact same time makes me think this is not a ram problem.

My main suspicion is that this problem is mobo related.

so the does it reboot constently even with no hard drives/cd drives/usb drives hooked up?

HAMiiSH

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012

Without any boot device connected I get a message saying that "BIOS setting do not support the boot device". It says to adjust the compatibility support module (CSM) within the BIOS. If I change this setting the drives are not even recognised and upon restart I get the same message"BIOS setting do not support the boot device".

well first off with everything disconnected there is not boot devices so that msg will be normal.
2nd its not constantly rebooting so it means we need to get it to boot from the cd drive.

rehook up you hard drive and cd drive
go into your bios and set the "cd drive" as the first boot device and put your install media in the cd drive
save the bios settings and restart the computer.

HAMiiSH

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012

I have already tried that. No mater what device, be it Win 7 cd or usb (with win 10 install), the PC will fail to boot from it and restart itself on a loop. I understand boot order and can assure you that that is not the problem. The problem is a failure to boot from any device be it cd, usb, or ssd.

I have also ordered a cheap psu to test if that is the source of the problem. If it is not the only two components left are the cpu and the mobo.

Edward_65

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016
My computer got attacked by beeping ransomware! Restart landed me in the 64% endless Loop. I was running the free version of Windows 10. I started reinstall my reinstall my Windows 8.1 end up in the same 64% endless loop. High powered off and remove the the small wire from my DVD player high powered back up and clicked bunch of keys to shift off whatever key at whatever f key. To get to the cmos screen. I plugged the small wire back into the DVD player. I replied yes to all the questions in CMOS to make my bootable DVD player the first bootable disk. I was able to replace Windows 10 with my reinstall DVD of 8.1