info about the Merger

Mike

Splendid
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

A buddy of mine sent this to me. It answers some of the merger questions.

AT&T may re-enter wireless market as a reseller

You may have read in recent headlines about AT&T Corporation's intentions to
re-enter the wireless business after the merger of Cingular and AT&T
Wireless is complete. Confused? Here's some helpful information.

AT&T Corporation - which is a separate company from AT&T Wireless - has
publicly announced that it intends to enter the wireless market as a
re-seller using another company's network.

To avoid confusing customers, AT&T Wireless has an agreement with AT&T
Corporation that allows Cingular to use the AT&T name during an orderly
transition period after the deal closes. At that time the AT&T brand reverts
back to AT&T Corporation. The merged Cingular and AT&T Wireless will use the
Cingular brand.

Nothing has changed at either Cingular Wireless or AT&T Wireless. The two
companies still plan to combine, later this year, once all government
approvals are obtained.

Cingular and AT&T Wireless customers don't need to do anything at all to
continue receiving the same service they are accustomed to getting.
Customers will not need to change their phone or rate plan unless they want
to do so; all contracts will be honored.

And service will only get better after the merger in terms of coverage,
functions, features and flexibility

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <10fp133nt6d3dd@corp.supernews.com>,
"Mike" <someone@micrsoft.com> wrote:

> A buddy of mine sent this to me. It answers some of the merger questions.

Cingular Propaganda

> AT&T may re-enter wireless market as a reseller
>

> You may have read in recent headlines about AT&T Corporation's intentions to
> re-enter the wireless business after the merger of Cingular and AT&T
> Wireless is complete. Confused? Here's some helpful information.
>
> AT&T Corporation - which is a separate company from AT&T Wireless - has
> publicly announced that it intends to enter the wireless market as a
> re-seller using another company's network.

AT&T has already signed a 5 year deal with Sprint.

http://wirelessreview.com/ar/telecom_att_corp_goes/

> To avoid confusing customers,

Thats their lowest priority. The legaly requirements from the spinoff of
AT&T WIreless from AT&T is what controls here. Its all in writing.

> AT&T Wireless has an agreement with AT&T
> Corporation that allows Cingular to use the AT&T name during an orderly
> transition period after the deal closes.

For about 30 seconds.

> At that time the AT&T brand reverts
> back to AT&T Corporation. The merged Cingular and AT&T Wireless will use the
> Cingular brand.
>
> Nothing has changed at either Cingular Wireless or AT&T Wireless. The two
> companies still plan to combine, later this year, once all government
> approvals are obtained.
>
> Cingular and AT&T Wireless customers don't need to do anything at all to
> continue receiving the same service they are accustomed to getting.
> Customers will not need to change their phone or rate plan unless they want
> to do so; all contracts will be honored.

At least initially. 6 months later - watchout.

> And service will only get better after the merger in terms of coverage,
> functions, features and flexibility

Unless you own a 1900 MHz only phone in an area where everything is
going to 800 MHz and Cingular is selling off duplicate capacity to
TMobile or some one else.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

The info about ATT entering the wireless world is more than a month old.
And it is not a merger, Cingular is buying out ATTWS.

Chris

In <rmarkoff-9761DD.05150620072004@news2.west.earthlink.net> on Tue, 20 Jul
2004 10:15:07 GMT, "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:

>In article <10fp133nt6d3dd@corp.supernews.com>,
> "Mike" <someone@micrsoft.com> wrote:

>> And service will only get better after the merger in terms of coverage,
>> functions, features and flexibility
>
>Unless you own a 1900 MHz only phone in an area where everything is
>going to 800 MHz and Cingular is selling off duplicate capacity to
>TMobile or some one else.

More smoke. Cingular has arranged for continued coverage from T-Mobile.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <vgHPc.5326$54.88102@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> >Unless you own a 1900 MHz only phone in an area where everything is
> >going to 800 MHz and Cingular is selling off duplicate capacity to
> >TMobile or some one else.
>
> More smoke. Cingular has arranged for continued coverage from T-Mobile.

John has spoken, therefore it's true.

John has inside knowledge of every decision Cingular makes. He sits in
on board meetings, and plays golf with his neighbor, who is on the
board. So he even knows about side deals.

Robert

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <elmop-02A357.09323903082004@text.usenetserver.com>,
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

> In article <vgHPc.5326$54.88102@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
> > >Unless you own a 1900 MHz only phone in an area where everything is
> > >going to 800 MHz and Cingular is selling off duplicate capacity to
> > >TMobile or some one else.
> >
> > More smoke. Cingular has arranged for continued coverage from T-Mobile.
>
> John has spoken, therefore it's true.
>
> John has inside knowledge of every decision Cingular makes. He sits in
> on board meetings, and plays golf with his neighbor, who is on the
> board. So he even knows about side deals.

Many times John does have knowledge the rest of us lack. My complaint is
too often he makes a good educated guess, and treats his guess as fact.

It depends upon the area. New York City will be treated quite
differently than Northern California. Obviously its in Cingular's best
interest to:

1. Have coverage (first choice)

2. Have Cingular owned coverage (second choice)

3. Have 850 MHz coverage. (third choice)

Under ideal conditions Cingular works to have all three. With the AT&T
merger many more places will fall under 1 & 2, and where it can Cingular
is swapping capacity to help meet it's goals.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In <elmop-02A357.09323903082004@text.usenetserver.com> on Tue, 03 Aug 2004
09:32:39 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <vgHPc.5326$54.88102@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> >Unless you own a 1900 MHz only phone in an area where everything is
>> >going to 800 MHz and Cingular is selling off duplicate capacity to
>> >TMobile or some one else.
>>
>> More smoke. Cingular has arranged for continued coverage from T-Mobile.
>
>John has spoken, therefore it's true.

No -- it's simply true.

>John has inside knowledge of every decision Cingular makes. He sits in
>on board meetings, and plays golf with his neighbor, who is on the
>board. So he even knows about side deals.

No -- I simply take the time to learn what's actually going on (rather than
just making things up, and then trying to cover up lack of knowledge with
rudeness).

T-Mobile USA to End Network Venture with Cingular and Acquire
California/Nevada Network and Spectrum
<http://www.t-mobile.com/company/pressroom/pressrelease100.asp>

In addition, T-Mobile USA will:

* provide network services to Cingular under a wholesale arrangement
until Cingular's customers in these markets transition to the
networks it will acquire through its pending merger with AT&T
Wireless Services, Inc. ("AT&T Wireless");

* replace its existing roaming agreement with Cingular with a new
nationwide agreement with improved terms;

[MORE]

The entire release is worth reading if you've actually interested in what's
going on.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In <RM143-03C0D4.09070203082004@news03.east.earthlink.net> on Tue, 03 Aug 2004
14:07:02 GMT, Robert <RM143@ret.com> wrote:

>Many times John does have knowledge the rest of us lack. My complaint is
>too often he makes a good educated guess, and treats his guess as fact.

On the contrary -- I don't guess or make things up. Except when expressing a
personal opinion, as should be clear from the context, or otherwise qualifying
my statement, I'll have real facts to back up what I say.

>It depends upon the area. New York City will be treated quite
>differently than Northern California. Obviously its in Cingular's best
>interest to:
>
>1. Have coverage (first choice)
>
>2. Have Cingular owned coverage (second choice)
>
>3. Have 850 MHz coverage. (third choice)

You have it backwards. Your #3 is actually #1, and your #1 is actually #3, as
evidenced by the acquisition of ATTWS with its 800 spectrum, and the sale of
1900 spectrum to T-Mobile (you do know about that, right?); i.e.,

1. Have Cingular owned 800 coverage (Cingular plus ATTWS)
2. Have coverage (roaming on T-Mobile plus other GSM)

Robert

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <lLNPc.5352$54.89095@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> In <RM143-03C0D4.09070203082004@news03.east.earthlink.net> on Tue, 03 Aug 2004
> 14:07:02 GMT, Robert <RM143@ret.com> wrote:
>
> >Many times John does have knowledge the rest of us lack. My complaint is
> >too often he makes a good educated guess, and treats his guess as fact.
>
> On the contrary -- I don't guess or make things up. Except when expressing a
> personal opinion, as should be clear from the context, or otherwise qualifying
> my statement, I'll have real facts to back up what I say.

I firmly disagree, as you evidenced by your guesses below.

> >It depends upon the area. New York City will be treated quite
> >differently than Northern California. Obviously its in Cingular's best
> >interest to:
> >
> >1. Have coverage (first choice)
> >
> >2. Have Cingular owned coverage (second choice)
> >
> >3. Have 850 MHz coverage. (third choice)
>
> You have it backwards. Your #3 is actually #1, and your #1 is actually #3, as
> evidenced by the acquisition of ATTWS with its 800 spectrum, and the sale of
> 1900 spectrum to T-Mobile (you do know about that, right?); i.e.,
>
> 1. Have Cingular owned 800 coverage (Cingular plus ATTWS)
> 2. Have coverage (roaming on T-Mobile plus other GSM)

Get real, according to your hypothesized priorities, Cingular would
prefer to not have coverage if it wasn't company owned?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In <RM143-FE3F0B.11364003082004@news04.east.earthlink.net> on Tue, 03 Aug 2004
16:36:40 GMT, Robert <RM143@ret.com> wrote:

>In article <lLNPc.5352$54.89095@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>> On the contrary -- I don't guess or make things up. Except when expressing a
>> personal opinion, as should be clear from the context, or otherwise qualifying
>> my statement, I'll have real facts to back up what I say.
>
>I firmly disagree, as you evidenced by your guesses below.

You are of course free to disagree with anything and everything.

>> You have it backwards. Your #3 is actually #1, and your #1 is actually #3, as
>> evidenced by the acquisition of ATTWS with its 800 spectrum, and the sale of
>> 1900 spectrum to T-Mobile (you do know about that, right?); i.e.,
>>
>> 1. Have Cingular owned 800 coverage (Cingular plus ATTWS)
>> 2. Have coverage (roaming on T-Mobile plus other GSM)
>
>Get real, according to your hypothesized priorities, Cingular would
>prefer to not have coverage if it wasn't company owned?

I didn't say or even imply that. Read more carefully.