info on monitor connection (VGA)

shanetemple14

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014
ok so i just bought a monitor and it only has a vga input conection and ive heard some bad things about it i wanted to know what the actual image looks like does anyone have any infomation or do u have a picture you can linnk to me so i can what its really like i have a 75 mhz monitor and its 720p any help would be appreciated

Solution

VGA is also vulnerable to flaws in the video card DAC. I've run across cards with flaky or weak DACs which produced a soft/blurry image regardless of monitor or cable. HDMI and DVI are digital so don't have this problem. The monitor gets the exact image the card...

Xyos

Distinguished
Well any image of a screenshot from that monitor would look different depending on the compression of the image and the monitor your viewing it on :p

VGA's limit is at the 1080p mark, so for you with 720p it would look fine, although I really would recommend a 1080p monitor to purchase. 720p is very very old.

VGA is generally fine. I use both HDMI and VGA on my monitor and switch between the two all of the time (1920x1200 @60Hz). The only real issue with VGA is that it is an analog signal, which means that if there is anything near the system giving off a lot of electromagnetic interference (EMI) then you can end up picking up odd noise which can degrade the signal. This EMI is typically not noticeable on normal 3-5' VGA cables though, so it is not typically an issue.

The big deal is 720p. It is fine for video, and OK for games, but anything with text is going to be painful to read for long periods of time. The resolution is going to be much more of an issue than anything else... well, that and whatever the quality of the panel is in the first place.

VGA is also vulnerable to flaws in the video card DAC. I've run across cards with flaky or weak DACs which produced a soft/blurry image regardless of monitor or cable. HDMI and DVI are digital so don't have this problem. The monitor gets the exact image the card produces.

Solution
@Solandri
HDMI is prone to blowing out due to voltage issues... every technology has draw backs. Assuming everything is in good working order VGA is fine for most uses, and on a cheap panel you would be hard pressed to notice a difference.

@shane
be more careful next time. $110 for a refurbished analog only display is a ridiculous rip-off. You can find similar displays online for $80 or less new. I am sure it will work just fine, and being a dell panel it won't be too bad quality-wise (there are certainly worse), but for $100-130 you could do better on a site like newegg, ncix, or amazon.