[SOLVED] information about motherboard vrm

punisher_09

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
Hello ! I would like to know the difference between motherboards in therms of cooling the vrm's. I would like to know what is the purpose of the vrm's located at the top of the CPU socket and the purpose of the vrm's located to the left side of the socket. I saw that some motherboards have no heat sink on the vrm's, other have heat sink only on the left side vrm's and other motherboards have heat sinks located on both top and left side of the CPU socket.
I read somewhere on the internet that some of the vrm phases are for the iGPU, but how can I know which of them are for the iGPU ? Also, some motherboard manufacturers are claiming that the motherboard have intelligent vrm control, are there information about how the controller is allocating the load to the vrm's phases ?

Solution
Hello ! I would like to know the difference between motherboards in therms of cooling the vrm's. I would like to know what is the purpose of the vrm's located at the top of the CPU socket and the purpose of the vrm's located to the left side of the socket. I saw that some motherboards have no heat sink on the vrm's, other have heat sink only on the left side vrm's and other motherboards have heat sinks located on both top and left side of the CPU socket.
I read somewhere on the internet that some of the vrm phases are for the iGPU, but how can I know which of them are for the iGPU ? Also, some motherboard manufacturers are claiming that the motherboard have intelligent vrm control, are there information about how the controller is...
I read somewhere on the internet that some of the vrm phases are for the iGPU, but how can I know which of them are for the iGPU ? Also, some motherboard manufacturers are claiming that the motherboard have intelligent vrm control, are there information about how the controller is allocating the load to the vrm's phases ?
In order to maximize use of MB space some manufacturers divide VRM in sections but it's still one module. Even when inline different parts of VRM supply power to appropriate parts of MB. Some to CPU, some to PCI(e), some to RAM. some to chipset etc.
Eralier MBs had separate VRM for RAM for instance but were just small single chips, As RAM became larger using more power they now run from collective VRM and many have hat sink on them.
So which part of VRM supplies power to which parts varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Reactions: punisher_09
Solution