Inks for i400 and i950 printer

Because of problems with Canon i950, I bought a Canon ip4000 this afternoon.
What I noticed was the differences in numbers of ink carts. Six ink
carts were used for i950, but only 5 carts for ip4000. Two black carts
BCL-6BK and BCL-3eBK must be installed for ip4000. I am confused on
this. Are these two different colors? What's the heck two black colors?
Could someone tell me what is the difference between two black carts?
Secondly, with 5 colors could ip4000 produce good color prints as i950?
Satoshi

zakezuke

> Hmmm...I've always wondered about this, too. Are the two blacks the same
> 'color', but pigmented is better for use on non-coated, or high rag
> content, whereas dye based is for photographic papers?

I have both the mp760 and an ip3000 which as no dye black. The pigment
black ends up being very flat on glossy paper and adds an almost raised
effect on photos in contrast to the dye colors. Some friends saw the
first output from the ip3000 and liked it because the blacks looked
blacker then another printer I had that used dye everything. I
disagree but hey strongly but hey, given my application for the ip3000
is cd printing i'm not too worried about it.

The pigmented black is cool because it's big and tends to cost you less
per page than the 15ml tiny dye black.

You should be more than pleased with the output from the iP4000. I prefer it
to the my i950. The iP4000 lacks the PM & PC tanks but I haven't noticed
that as a problem. If anything it's an advantage since the pinkish tint
problem that seems to plague so many i950 printers has not been a problem
with the iP4000. As to the black ink question, the BCI-6bk tank (photo
black) is dye based and is used for printing with all paper settings. The
BCI-3ebk is pigmented black and is only used for plain paper mode. You will
also see it referred to as text black or used for text printing, but that is
incorrect. The pigmented black is used for both text and photos (how would
the printer know anyway?), but only in plain paper mode. It is not used for
any other paper settings.
--
Ron

"satoshi" <satoshi@thuntek.net> wrote in message
> Because of problems with Canon i950, I bought a Canon ip4000 this
> afternoon.
> What I noticed was the differences in numbers of ink carts. Six ink
> carts were used for i950, but only 5 carts for ip4000. Two black carts
> BCL-6BK and BCL-3eBK must be installed for ip4000. I am confused on
> this. Are these two different colors? What's the heck two black colors?
> Could someone tell me what is the difference between two black carts?
> Secondly, with 5 colors could ip4000 produce good color prints as i950?
> Satoshi

Bruce

"Ron Cohen" <d+r+c+0+2+3@sbcXXXglobalYYY.ZZZnet> wrote in

> You should be more than pleased with the output from the iP4000. I
> prefer it to the my i950. The iP4000 lacks the PM & PC tanks but I
> haven't noticed that as a problem. If anything it's an advantage since
> the pinkish tint problem that seems to plague so many i950 printers
> has not been a problem with the iP4000. As to the black ink question,
> the BCI-6bk tank (photo black) is dye based and is used for printing
> with all paper settings. The BCI-3ebk is pigmented black and is only
> used for plain paper mode. You will also see it referred to as text
> black or used for text printing, but that is incorrect. The pigmented
> black is used for both text and photos (how would the printer know
> anyway?), but only in plain paper mode. It is not used for any other
> paper settings.

Hmmm...I've always wondered about this, too. Are the two blacks the same
'color', but pigmented is better for use on non-coated, or high rag
content, whereas dye based is for photographic papers?

I just printed the same text document twice, both times on plain paper,
but once using the plain paper setting, and once using the Photo Paper
Pro setting (Canon MP760). Both looked the same 'color', but the plain
paper setting produced a slightly, but noticable, crisper output.

Sincerely,
Bruce

"Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message

> Hmmm...I've always wondered about this, too. Are the two blacks the same
> 'color', but pigmented is better for use on non-coated, or high rag
> content, whereas dye based is for photographic papers?

Yes, the pigmented ink is not generally compatible with glossy photo papers.
Additionally, the drop size for the pigmented black is generally much larger
than for the dye based black. The pigmented printhead is tuned for text
printing, the dye based printhead is tuned for graphics and photos.

> I just printed the same text document twice, both times on plain paper,
> but once using the plain paper setting, and once using the Photo Paper
> Pro setting (Canon MP760). Both looked the same 'color', but the plain
> paper setting produced a slightly, but noticable, crisper output.

The pigmented black ink will generally giver sharper edge definition. Also,
printing with photo paper selected uses more ink and may have exceeded the
capacity of plain paper to handle it.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Thanks Ron for your informative posting.
Before I got i950, I also bought Canon s520. I still use S520 at home.
s520 uses BCI-3eBK. When I looked at both BCI-3eBK and BCI-6BK, they did
not say whether they are pigment- or dye-based inks.
I now used OEM BCI-3eBK ink. The OEM label did not say either. Could
you tell me how to tell pigmented black from dye-based black.
I might have used both without knowing whether they are pigment- or
dye-based ink. satoshi

"Ron Cohen" <d+r+c+0+2+3@sbcXXXglobalYYY.ZZZnet> wrote in message
> You should be more than pleased with the output from the iP4000. I prefer
> it to the my i950. The iP4000 lacks the PM & PC tanks but I haven't
> noticed that as a problem. If anything it's an advantage since the pinkish
> tint problem that seems to plague so many i950 printers has not been a
> problem with the iP4000. As to the black ink question, the BCI-6bk tank
> (photo black) is dye based and is used for printing with all paper
> settings. The BCI-3ebk is pigmented black and is only used for plain paper
> mode. You will also see it referred to as text black or used for text
> printing, but that is incorrect. The pigmented black is used for both text
> and photos (how would the printer know anyway?), but only in plain paper
> mode. It is not used for any other paper settings.
> --
> Ron

If you are referring to ink tanks, then it's very easy to determine. The
BCI-3ebk (pigmented) is almost twice the width of the BCI-6bk (dye base). If
you are referring to bottles of ink which may not have labels, the easiest
way is to take a cotton swab or tissue, dip it lightly in the ink and then
wipe it on a piece of scrap glossy photo paper. If the ink is pigmented it
will have a bronzing effect, but dye based black will be a glossy black.
--
Ron

"Satoshi" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Ron for your informative posting.
> Before I got i950, I also bought Canon s520. I still use S520 at home.
> s520 uses BCI-3eBK. When I looked at both BCI-3eBK and BCI-6BK, they did
> not say whether they are pigment- or dye-based inks.
> I now used OEM BCI-3eBK ink. The OEM label did not say either. Could
> you tell me how to tell pigmented black from dye-based black.
> I might have used both without knowing whether they are pigment- or
> dye-based ink. satoshi
>

> "Ron Cohen" <d+r+c+0+2+3@sbcXXXglobalYYY.ZZZnet> wrote in message
>> You should be more than pleased with the output from the iP4000. I prefer
>> it to the my i950. The iP4000 lacks the PM & PC tanks but I haven't
>> noticed that as a problem. If anything it's an advantage since the
>> pinkish tint problem that seems to plague so many i950 printers has not
>> been a problem with the iP4000. As to the black ink question, the BCI-6bk
>> tank (photo black) is dye based and is used for printing with all paper
>> settings. The BCI-3ebk is pigmented black and is only used for plain
>> paper mode. You will also see it referred to as text black or used for
>> text printing, but that is incorrect. The pigmented black is used for
>> both text and photos (how would the printer know anyway?), but only in
>> plain paper mode. It is not used for any other paper settings.
>> --
>> Ron

Thanks Ron again.

After print head alignment, the color of 6BK black looks more grey.
On the other hand, the color of 3eBK is really dark.

Color pictures printed with ip4000 is almost the same as those printed at
Costco.

Regards,

Satoshi wrote:

>Thanks Ron for your informative posting.
>Before I got i950, I also bought Canon s520. I still use S520 at home.
>s520 uses BCI-3eBK. When I looked at both BCI-3eBK and BCI-6BK, they did
>not say whether they are pigment- or dye-based inks.
>I now used OEM BCI-3eBK ink. The OEM label did not say either. Could
>you tell me how to tell pigmented black from dye-based black.
>I might have used both without knowing whether they are pigment- or
>dye-based ink. satoshi

The answer is simple. The BCI-3eBK is pigmented and the cartridge size
is much larger.

>"Ron Cohen" <d+r+c+0+2+3@sbcXXXglobalYYY.ZZZnet> wrote in message
>

>>You should be more than pleased with the output from the iP4000. I prefer
>>it to the my i950. The iP4000 lacks the PM & PC tanks but I haven't
>>noticed that as a problem. If anything it's an advantage since the pinkish
>>tint problem that seems to plague so many i950 printers has not been a
>>problem with the iP4000. As to the black ink question, the BCI-6bk tank
>>(photo black) is dye based and is used for printing with all paper
>>settings. The BCI-3ebk is pigmented black and is only used for plain paper
>>mode. You will also see it referred to as text black or used for text
>>printing, but that is incorrect. The pigmented black is used for both text
>>and photos (how would the printer know anyway?), but only in plain paper
>>mode. It is not used for any other paper settings.
>>--
>>Ron

Bruce

"Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in

> "Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message
>
>> Hmmm...I've always wondered about this, too. Are the two blacks the
>> same 'color', but pigmented is better for use on non-coated, or high
>> rag content, whereas dye based is for photographic papers?
>
> Yes, the pigmented ink is not generally compatible with glossy photo
> papers. Additionally, the drop size for the pigmented black is
> generally much larger than for the dye based black. The pigmented
> printhead is tuned for text printing, the dye based printhead is tuned
> for graphics and photos.
>
>> I just printed the same text document twice, both times on plain
>> paper, but once using the plain paper setting, and once using the
>> Photo Paper Pro setting (Canon MP760). Both looked the same 'color',
>> but the plain paper setting produced a slightly, but noticable,
>> crisper output.
>
> The pigmented black ink will generally giver sharper edge definition.
> Also, printing with photo paper selected uses more ink and may have
> exceeded the capacity of plain paper to handle it.

Ah, yes, that's exactly what I am seeing. Plain paper setting, thus
pigmented ink in use, gives slighly crisper text than does Photo Paper
Pro setting, thus dye based ink in use, on plain paper.

> Regards,
> Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Thanks much,
Bruce

Ron Cohen wrote:

>If you are referring to ink tanks, then it's very easy to determine. The
>BCI-3ebk (pigmented) is almost twice the width of the BCI-6bk (dye base). If
>you are referring to bottles

Canon ink does not come in bottles.

>of ink which may not have labels, the easiest
>way is to take a cotton swab or tissue, dip it lightly in the ink and then
>wipe it on a piece of scrap glossy photo paper. If the ink is pigmented it
>will have a bronzing effect, but dye based black will be a glossy black.

BURT

"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message

> Ron Cohen wrote:
>
>>If you are referring to ink tanks, then it's very easy to determine. The
>>BCI-3ebk (pigmented) is almost twice the width of the BCI-6bk (dye base).
>>If you are referring to bottles
>
> Canon ink does not come in bottles.

Ron Cohen has been very successful in using bulk Formulabs inks for several
years in his Canon printers. He is obviously referring to bottles of
aftermarket inks that the OP might be trying to identify as dye or pigment
based. It is too bad that Canon inks don't come in bottles, but fortunately
there are good compatable aftermarket products that do at a much reduced
cost to the user.

>>of ink which may not have labels, the easiest way is to take a cotton swab
>>or tissue, dip it lightly in the ink and then wipe it on a piece of scrap
>>glossy photo paper. If the ink is pigmented it will have a bronzing
>>effect, but dye based black will be a glossy black.

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

As a matter of fact it does, normally 1 US Gallon.
They use bottles to prevent the ink from running all over the floor; a
technique used successfully with liquids for centuries!!!!
Tony

measekite <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote:

>Canon ink does not come in bottles.

Tony Da Tiger is an also ran.

Tony wrote:

>As a matter of fact it does, normally 1 US Gallon.
>They use bottles to prevent the ink from running all over the floor; a
>technique used successfully with liquids for centuries!!!!
>Tony
>
>measekite <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote:
>

>>Canon ink does not come in bottles.

A good subject turned into worthless fight. People really need to grow up.

Well, I saw a bit of incorrect understanding about dye based and pigment
based ink. No intention to fight with anyone. You may consider the following
just my 2 cents worth of opinion.

Dye based black ink is actually darker than pigmented black ink. Just use a
cotton swap to catch some black ink by squeezing a black ink cartridge and
use the swap to draw on a piece plain paper. You will see ink from a BCI-3eBK
(pigmented) gets a gray looking but not the black ink from a BCI-6BK.

In order for the pigmented black to look as dark as dye based black the printer
driver is programmed to consume more ink per pixel. That's why the cartridge
(BCI-3eBK) is bigger.

The reason pigmented black ink is used for text printing is because it is better
waterproof than dye based ink. It is also more fade resistant. Pigmented ink is
also much more expensive than dye based ink. It can be twice of the dye based ink.
Many 3rd party BCI-3eBK cartridges, especially cheap ones, are not pre-filled
with pigmented black ink. Most people just can't tell pigmented black from dye based
black.

Burt,

I purchased MIS refill set several times from Costco. The plastic squeeze
bottles with syringe needle on the top did not say any word whether black
ink is pigment- or dye-based ink. They might print it now. I will go and
check at Costco today. Satoshi

Satoshi wrote:
> Burt,
>
> I purchased MIS refill set several times from Costco. The plastic squeeze
> bottles with syringe needle on the top did not say any word whether black
> ink is pigment- or dye-based ink. They might print it now. I will go and
> check at Costco today. Satoshi
>

> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>
>>>that are almost impossible to identify since the are not marked.
>>
>>Sure they are marked. The bottles of ink I use have a printed label from
>>MIS including their name, the printer for which the ink is formulated, the
>>color, a "use by" date, and the size of the container.
>>
>>(snip)

That is IMS from Costco not MIS from Inksupply.com The latest bottle
I have say Photo Black for the dye based ink.

Mickey

Your new here aren't you?
Stevelee wrote:
> A good subject turned into worthless fight. People really need to grow up.
How true but you have to admit Measkite is a great fisherman. Every
time he throws out a line someone bites and bites again.

> Well, I saw a bit of incorrect understanding about dye based and pigment
> based ink. No intention to fight with anyone. You may consider the
> following
> just my 2 cents worth of opinion.
>
> Dye based black ink is actually darker than pigmented black ink. Just use a
> cotton swap to catch some black ink by squeezing a black ink cartridge and
> use the swap to draw on a piece plain paper. You will see ink from a
> BCI-3eBK
> (pigmented) gets a gray looking but not the black ink from a BCI-6BK.
>
> In order for the pigmented black to look as dark as dye based black the
> printer
> driver is programmed to consume more ink per pixel. That's why the
> cartridge
> (BCI-3eBK) is bigger.
>
> The reason pigmented black ink is used for text printing is because it
> is better
> waterproof than dye based ink. It is also more fade resistant. Pigmented
> ink is
> also much more expensive than dye based ink. It can be twice of the dye
> based ink.
> Many 3rd party BCI-3eBK cartridges, especially cheap ones, are not
> pre-filled
> with pigmented black ink. Most people just can't tell pigmented black
> from dye based
> black.

Since you tagged onto a post by Bruce which quoted a long post from
Bob Headrick, you need to know he is an HP employee and works for
their Inkjet division. If you thought his comments were incorrect,
you need to stop and give some thought.

Just MO

Mickey

zakezuke

> I purchased MIS refill set several times from Costco. The plastic squeeze
> bottles with syringe needle on the top did not say any word whether black
> ink is pigment- or dye-based ink.

IMS from costco won't make you happy, they didn't make me happy.
Generic inks, as in the one type fits all are none too good. I can't
say what they'd do on a canon... but on an Epson boy. I haven't heard
of anyone clogging with the IMS inks, but I have heard of leaking as
it's very thin stuff. And faiding... it'll fad about as fast as some
of those ultra cheap imports though my test was with a paint brush and
warsaw index paper. Hardly scientific.

I haven't tried MIS yet from inksupply.com on the canon... but I have
on the epson, and the results were pretty brillent, when I run out of
ink that will be my next refill. Those at least didn't faid in weeks.

I worked for HP too. But don't assume one knows about ink because he or she works
or worked for HP. I have 3 bottles of Canon compatible black ink in front of me
right now. One is dye based and 2nd is pigmented and the 3rd is somewhere in between.

I tested all 3 by using the ink to draw on 3 pieces of plain paper. The dye ink is
darkest. The one in the middle is almost as dark too. The pigmented black looks gray.
But then it doesn't mean when printed it will be gray. By laying more droplets the gray
will be dense enough to be dark black.

From a more technical point of view, pigment ink does not have a wide gamut like dye
inks. So dye based black ink is naturally darker than pigment black ink. Pigment ink
is much more archival than dye inks and more waterproof. That's the reason when printing
text pigmented ink is desired.

" Stevelee" <" Stevelee"@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> From a more technical point of view, pigment ink does not have a wide gamut
> like dye
> inks. So dye based black ink is naturally darker than pigment black ink.

The first statement may be true, but the second does not follow.

> Pigment ink is much more archival than dye inks and more waterproof.

Generally true.

> That's the reason when printing text pigmented ink is desired.

Not necessarily. Pigmented ink is generally less likely to bleed or wick and
is more media independent in these regards than dye based ink. Dyes typically
soak into the paper and may bleed or wick, pigmented inks are more likely to
sit on top of the paper. The result is better edge acuity on a variety of
plain papers. This is more important for providing clear sharp text.

- Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

zakezuke

> SO WHERE IS THE REST OF THIS BAD PRODUCT

Please don't yell.

I'll be the first to say I have NO clue where the rest of this product
is. As with many things at costco it's rebranded by some company and
sold in bulk, rather like that kirkland paper we are all so fond off
made by that unnammed swiss paper company.

There is also Stratitec name which was at samsclub for about the same
price mark. The accessories were slightly different, the bottles a
whole other shape, but the plugs, badal, and thumb drill were an
identical match. Sams club is a little different than costco... they
were selling ilford paper that was slightly relabled giving the
impression they were buying the smooth pearl though in reality much
thinner.

But the stuff you're talking about is sold retail for $100/gal or so
(not exact, between $100-$150 IIRC).

> IT IS PROBABLY SOLD UNDER A VARIETY OF NAMES THAT ARE LABELED
> BY THE VENDORS

Yep, and probally made by some company who makes comercial ink. Every
time I see it in the costco isle it's always very consistent in color,
which is more than I can say for Epson OEM... but you can at least look
at epson and pick a single country of orgin and be pretty damned
consistent.

> THAT THE COMPANY WILL NEED MORE THAN COSTCO TO RUN A
> SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS

Ummm, I disagree. I don't know how it is at standford but generally
speaking a successful business is often defined as one which doesn't go
bankrupt after 3 years or so. A business could be two guys and a dog
called spot selling macrame coathangers. Heck I know of some guy who
does chainsaw art work and manages to make house payments. This isn't
my bag I might be misquoting, but any business that continues to
operate for more than 3 years, 5 years, 7 years is successful. And
can you do this just selling to costco? I'd say yes. IMS has been
selling to costco for 3 years now (at least), while I don't like their
product they have a perfectly dandy business model even if they only
sell to Costco... but they also sell direct from what i've seen.

BURT

Zake - I use MIS in my Canon i960. No clogs in a little under a year and
very good color match.

Mickey wrote:

> Satoshi wrote:
>
>> Burt,
>>
>> I purchased MIS refill set several times from Costco. The plastic
>> squeeze bottles with syringe needle on the top did not say any word
>> whether black ink is pigment- or dye-based ink. They might print it
>> now. I will go and check at Costco today. Satoshi
>>

>> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message

>>> Sure they are marked. The bottles of ink I use have a printed label
>>> from MIS including their name, the printer for which the ink is
>>> formulated, the color, a "use by" date, and the size of the container.
>>>
>>> (snip)
>>>

> That is IMS from Costco not MIS from Inksupply.com The latest bottle
> I have say Photo Black for the dye based ink.
>
> Mickey

It may be the same stuff.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

measekite wrote:

> It may be the same stuff.

Yeah right. And minkies might come flying out of your rectum at any time.
You're an idiot.
Frank