Review Inland Performance SSD Review: The Low-Performance Niche

Apr 1, 2020
Anyone else wish these non-big label brands would focus on something that would really help differentiate them from the pack? As mentioned in the article the SK Hynix P31 and P41 drives are massive performers and are incredibly difficult to not recommend spending the very little extra money on when compared to a lower class drive like this, so they need to do something like start offering affordable "slow" 4 and 8TB drives for people who want them for the capacity.

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
FYI, I've bought several of these and the PNY SSD utility seems to work on these. Perhaps these are rebranded drives?
Most Phison controller-equipped SSDs are typically manufactured through Phison/their production partners in order to have some sort of warranty. They also hardly vary in fw changes. PNY, Inland, Corsair, Silicon Power Sabrent, Addlink, etc, are all selling what are essentially the same drives with different names/labels/heatsinks. Even the majority of Seagate's consumer SSDs are all Phison-based.

Reactions: Maxxify

Neilbob

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
The problem I have with most of these SSD reviews is that the tests generally seem to be all synthetic and don't show how these things actually perform relative to each other in any kind of real-world scenario - and from what I've seen previously that difference is so tiny as to be virtually unnoticeable, especially for the sorts of consumers that these are aimed at.

Puts cynical-old-codger hat on

Some people like to go on about how things like DirectStorage will make a massive difference - but will it really? It has to be programmed for, and it won't make things that already load fast much faster than they are.

evdjj3j

Honorable
Aug 4, 2017
One of the ways Direct Storage is supposed to help is with decompression of assets. It will allow the decompression to be offloaded to a hardware accelerator or to the GPU for acceleration.