Question Inno3D GeForce RTX 2060 Super - fans randomly speed up to 3000 rpm

Apr 30, 2020
I recently upgraded from an ASUS EX-GTX1050TI-O4G - OC Edition to the Inno3D GeForce RTX 2060 Super. The graphics card seem to perform just fine, but the fans randomly speed up even when gpu usage is very low. This is an issue because it's insanely loud. Here is a little video demonstrating the issue. Do note that this happens around 5-10 times every minute and sometimes is even louder than this.
This is the build I have right now:
  • EVGA Supernova 550 G3
  • AMD Ryzen 5 1600 - Processor
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 16GB
  • Samsung 860 EVO 1TB - Solid state drive
  • Asus Prime B350-Plus
  • NZXT Source S340 Elite
  • Inno3D GeForce RTX 2060 Super
I will most likely be upgrading the CPU and maybe the motherboard if needed, but not before I know whether it's the card or my build. The card does this regardless of the temperature it's at. The idle temperature is about 40 Celcius, look here. Now, I have done the following to try and resolve this issue:
  • DDU clean install of drivers
  • Reseating the card
  • Checking the power cable that's coming from the PSU (8 slot saying "type 4" on the side in the PSU and 6+2 saying PCIe in the GPU)
  • Setting a custom curve for the fan using MSI Afterburner, which didn't work. Even when set to a manual speed it will start spinning fast randomly. I have confirmed that the manual speed does apply by setting it to 80%.
  • Changing the power management within Nvidia Control Panel
  • Updating the Bios of the B350 Plus
  • Getting the latest chipset drivers amongst other drivers
I don't have the option to test it in another system. Would this issue be caused by incompatibility? Or is the card the culprit?
Any insights or help with troubleshooting is welcome!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS