[SOLVED] Inno3d RTX 2070 super gaming oc slightly erratic fans and GPU usage drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2020
So I've bought myself a nice new Inno3d RTX 2070 super gaming oc and I really can't complain about the performance at all but the fans on the thing seem a bit dodgy.
Without setting a custom fan curve in afterburner the auto controls won't kick the fans in to max and easily let it get close to 80 degrees c. The problem I've noticed is that the fans will be stable most of the time but drop in intervals to the point I can't hear them which only lasts a second at most. I've been keeping an eye on the GPU usage and it seems that the fans seeming to go quiet coincides with sharp drop in the GPU usage and it does only last a second at most and does not seem to affect the performance at all. Also this seems more prominent in some games than others. I've heard that the Gigabyte rtx cards have a ton of trouble with the fans clicking and such but this seems different. I was wandering whether the GPU usage drops can be cause by my cpu bottlenecking? I'm probably just being a bit paranoid but I did pay a fair bit for the card so I'm hoping this is just how these function but it does seem a bit odd.

Here's my specs:
Asus z170 a moobo
I7 6700k
Corsair Vengence ddr4 2133mhz
Inno3d RTX 2070 super
XFX 850w psu

Solution
If you have control over the GPU's fan curve, you possibly can kick the fans in to a compromise medium-high speed which might prevent the card from warming enough to need to run the fans at higher speeds to begin with...

Unfortunately, the scheme you described is common, where the GPU will be running fans at moderate speed until temp 'x' is reached, then run them fast to cool it down, etc...
If you have control over the GPU's fan curve, you possibly can kick the fans in to a compromise medium-high speed which might prevent the card from warming enough to need to run the fans at higher speeds to begin with...

Unfortunately, the scheme you described is common, where the GPU will be running fans at moderate speed until temp 'x' is reached, then run them fast to cool it down, etc...

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.