Question Inno3D RTX 3060 Ti TWIN X2 OC 85 degrees max temperature with undervolt

Amaterasu12

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
So, from the beginning the card maxed out at around 88 degrees. I have 2 120mm fans as intakes on the front, 1 120mm exhaust at the top and 1 120mm the back. Custom fun curve did not make any difference. Undervolt got me to around 82-85 degrees. With open case it stays at 81 degrees max. My idle temps are 37 degrees. Honestly I have tried everything except changing paste which I wouldn't prefer to do, plus I don't see the point on doing that as I bought the card 1 year ago. Every guy on the internet gets 75 degrees max on this card so i don't get what's happening with mine. Is it normal? Should I try something else? Any help is welcomed. P.S.: No warranty

Amaterasu12

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
What is the ambient room temperature where you stay ? I wouldn't worry much the GPU shooting up to 81c though, if that's under full gaming load, but your IDLE temp is actually a bit high imo.
its around 23-25 degrees now that is summer. But this is happening in winter as well with 17 degrees ambient temperature. I agree 81c is okay but I would prefer not to have my case open. Really is 37 high for idle? Hotspot is 49c on idle. Oh and the fans are working 90% but they blow very little hot air under load, like the heat is not dispersed at all. Backplate is very hot.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Some more information would be great, like:
-What is the case? Bonus points if a couple pictures are included. Please remove the side panel before taking pics of the interior; glass paneling blurs images and shows certain reflections.
-What is the temperature gap between the gpu core and the hot spot when the gpu is under load?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
- My case is the Cougar MX-330G. Here are the photos as well:
https://quickshare.samsungcloud.com/oquYXRFMdxvV
- the difference is mostly 15-16 degrees. For example I did a stress test now and GPU core is 82c and the hotspot was around 97c .
The 2nd cpu cooler fan IS facing the same direction as the rear case fan and the 1st cpu cooler fan, right?
I can't really tell from the pictures.

15-16C is a pretty good gap between the 2, so no repaste is needed here.

Evidence so far points towards airflow: gpu exhaust.
1)INNO3D's shroud is obstructing airflow - at least, it looks that way to me - particularly at the 2nd half(rear) of the card.
2)Your PCIe cable looks like it would do the same to the other half - I know there's the small pass-through, but most air cooled models also exhaust their waste heat from the sides. I figure you did it that way because the case is a bit narrow.

You might be best off using an old DIY method: removing that shroud and zip-tying a couple of 92/120mm case fans to the heatsink.

Amaterasu12

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
My problem in the first place was that everybody who benchmarked this card on you tube and stuff they
were getting 75 degrees. Regarding the shroud, unfortunately is a little out of my expertise to remove it, so I probably won't bother. But generally I don't have an issue with the temperatures (like 82-85 degrees) as long as they are normal and won't harm the GPU. I mostly wanted to see if it was a thermal paste issue but from what you are saying it's not.
-Oh and yea the 2 cpu coolers and the rear case fan are exhausting to the back of the case.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My problem in the first place was that everybody who benchmarked this card on you tube and stuff they
were getting 75 degrees.
Don't take what you've seen on youtube, etc, about that as a baseline, a commonly made mistake.
In this case(pun), their 75C vs your 82-85C could be caused by:
-front fans in the MX-330G are sandwiched between mesh. Effective airflow likely weaker than if the fans were only behind mesh instead.
-the fans and fan setup in your case vs the fans in the others' cases.
-heck, even the case used can be a factor - in terms of its design.
-or some combination of the above.

Another factor is if you're dealing with higher ambient temperatures. Peak and low load thermals will of course be higher. I think many reviewers do thermal tests around 20C room ambient in an air conditioned environment. The case ambient will always be warmer than that - if a case is even being used.

I mostly wanted to see if it was a thermal paste issue but from what you are saying it's not.
Aye, it's far from a paste issue. It's bad when you see like a 25C gap between core and hot spot.

Amaterasu12

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
Don't take what you've seen on youtube, etc, about that as a baseline, a commonly made mistake.
In this case(pun), their 75C vs your 82-85C could be caused by:
-front fans in the MX-330G are sandwiched between mesh. Effective airflow likely weaker than if the fans were only behind mesh instead.
-the fans and fan setup in your case vs the fans in the others' cases.
-heck, even the case used can be a factor - in terms of its design.
-or some combination of the above.

Another factor is if you're dealing with higher ambient temperatures. Peak and low load thermals will of course be higher. I think many reviewers do thermal tests around 20C room ambient in an air conditioned environment. The case ambient will always be warmer than that - if a case is even being used.

Aye, it's far from a paste issue. It's bad when you see like a 25C gap between core and hot spot.
okayy I see.. I will do nothing further then, except maybe sometime in the future I will move the fans behind the mesh. You saved me some serious cash because I was ready to buy thermal paste,pads, eletric screwdriver etc. Really thanks for all the interest and the help!

Reactions: Phaaze88