Question INNO3D RTX3080 RMA Nightmare

Apr 20, 2022
I would like to share the horrible experience I have had trying to RMA and repair my INNO3D IChill X3 RTX3080 GPU.

The card began artefacting while playing games then quickly progressed to crashing the system and finally throwing up a Bios code 90 on my Gigabyte mobo (Z690 Aorus Master DDR5).

I tried to RMA to overclockers but they rejected the RMA as it showed signs of having been opened. The signs in question were that the void sticker had come unstuck.

Feeling dejected and getting nowhere with Overclockers, I sent the card to an independent repair shop. They had it nearly a month, charged me £99 and sent it back unrepaired, saying that it was possibly the GPU or VRM, they basically did not know. After much argument that got me nowhere, the card was returned to me, for all I know, they never even opened it.

I then contacted INNO3D, I told them the nightmare I was having and the representative proceeded to try and think of any reason possible why my warranty was void. I mentioned that a pin on the PCIE had a shortened finger, sent him a picture and he immediately said it was physical damage, due to me unplugging/plugging it into my motherboard?! I said surely this is a normal function of the card and it should not damage it but he rejected my RMA also.

It turns out, I found out here that the finger was intentionally shorter than the other pins, as it was the hot plug pin! But for some reason, the INNO3D guy did not know that and just accused me of causing physical damage which is not covered by warranty?!

So, here I am today, I have a non functioning GPU that cost me a fortune, don't know what is wrong with it but it might be GPU or Memory related, it certainly is not the PCIE pin but wanted to share what has been a miserable and expensive process in trying to get it fixed.

AND....to add a kick in balls, I just bricked my Gigabyte M32U monitor while updating its firmware and RMA'd that last week, just got told yesterday, the courier smashed the screen!!! I am awaiting how this company will try to work out of responsibility, can't wait!

Sorry for the moan on my first post but I honestly am not sleeping at night over all of the money I have lost. If anyone has any suggestions, perhaps they know a good, honest GPU repairer that would be great to hear.

FYI I have tried many of the obvious repairs, new thermal paste, new thermal pads, the repairer said it was running hot on the 'hotspot' but could not tell me which hotspot or where (he was just using HWinfo!)

Another person with a bad experience from overclockers. They should have dealt with it or at least pointed you to Inno3D although they seem just as bad. I’m also UK based, I would recommend 2 things. Speak to citizens advice, we have very good consumer rights in the UK and being able to quote the right legislation can change the conversation with overclockers or Inno3D. I did similar about 10 years ago to help my parents with a purchase, I had a completely different conversation once the company knew I was informed about my rights.

Hopefully you bought the gpu using credit card. If yes then contact the card company and raise a dispute that the seller is not honouring the warranty on a faulty product. With most good credit card companies you get some form of protection and support, worth seeing if they will help.

I hope you get a better solution to this situation.

Reactions: bazzerbazooka
Apr 20, 2022
Another person with a bad experience from overclockers. They should have dealt with it or at least pointed you to Inno3D although they seem just as bad. I’m also UK based, I would recommend 2 things. Speak to citizens advice, we have very good consumer rights in the UK and being able to quote the right legislation can change the conversation with overclockers or Inno3D. I did similar about 10 years ago to help my parents with a purchase, I had a completely different conversation once the company knew I was informed about my rights.

Hopefully you bought the gpu using credit card. If yes then contact the card company and raise a dispute that the seller is not honouring the warranty on a faulty product. With most good credit card companies you get some form of protection and support, worth seeing if they will help.

I hope you get a better solution to this situation.
Ooh, there are some great points there thank you. I had not thought about contacting the credit card, that is really interesting idea!

Overclockers had a very blunt response, 'card looks opened, for water blocking, warranty void, RMA rejected' They based this on the void sticker being unstuck one end, which could happen due to heat easily. The serial number sticker was slightly unpeeled, which is not a warranty rejection reason anyway and they said the screws weren't seated properly. Basically any excuse to reject the RMA. They said it was INNO3D's policy that they were following, so just returned the card before they even sent me the rejection email!

I will look into the credit card option, then citizens advice, thank you.

Apr 20, 2022
Update to this, after much investigation, the pin I thought was damaged was intentionally shorter than the others. Why INNO3D did not know this, I don't know, I sent photographs to them and everything. It was the PCIE hot plug pin if that helps anyone understand but really had to dig for this info. As such it means my GPU has a different and more complicated issue, sadly.

TRENDING THREADS