Innodisk Developing iSLC NAND Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Wow look how bad MLC is compared to anything else, I am glad that I found a cheap source of SLC based SSDs for my retro projects.[/citation]

Care to share? Would love a cheap SLC source for low power security monitoring... :_)

alextheblue

Distinguished
So it's going to cost significantly less than true SLC... but roughly twice as much as traditional MLC. On the other hand, the vastly increased endurance means it would make an awesome cache drive! It would also be great if they integrated it into hybrid drives, for laptops, etc. A large enough high-endurance cache would allow for very SSD-like performance out of a hybrid, with tons of storage capacity, at a reasonable price.

[citation][nom]Adam Lovelace[/nom]How does this compare to MRAM?[/citation]

MRAM, IIRC, doesn't have write limitations like flash memory at all and is instead more like a hard drive as far as write limitation goes (IE nearly limitless). However, the technologies needed to make MRAM with decent density are owned by different companies, all of which seem to have no intention of working together, so it's a little difficult to put MRAM into any current storage technology comparison where at least decent capacity is required, such as desktop/laptop/smartphone/tablet storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.