Question Inoperative RJ45

CalScot

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
Generally my home, wired, network is fine. Every other outlet works ok.
However I have one single outlet in my media room which doesn't provide internet.
This cable comes direct from my Netgear switch to the media room outlet.
I've checked the switch. it seems to be fine.
I suspect there's a wiring issue at the switch site. Or in the Media Room outlet.
(Any way to easily diagnose this?)

i called a low voltage guy. $150 minimum call out.

If I work on this myself and need to buy tools can anyone advise on the minimum toolset required?

Ralston18

Titan
Start by going online and watching a few video tutorials on how to install a RJ-45 wall outlet.

There are both good and bad videos so watch several. You wil likely be able quickly distinguish the good from the bad.

Then do a google search and look for images of wall jacks, wiring configurations/pinouts.

Get a sense of what is required as if starting from the beginning.

Then, if possible, take the cover off of the media room wall jack and look inside. Good chance that one wire or another has come loose or broken.

Take a couple of photographs and post the photographs here via imgur (www.imgur.com)

Minimal tools: wire cutter/stripper, punch down, crimper. The latter may not be needed.

Just get an extra wall plate and tool kit (for example only, not a specific recommendation or endorsement).

https://www.amazon.com/BUPLDET-Ethernet-Punch-Down-Plate/dp/B08LDQ2WKW?th=1

Look for similar links and products. Good chance that any home materials/big box stores in your area may have similar products.

kanewolf

Titan
Generally my home, wired, network is fine. Every other outlet works ok.
However I have one single outlet in my media room which doesn't provide internet.
This cable comes direct from my Netgear switch to the media room outlet.
I've checked the switch. it seems to be fine.
I suspect there's a wiring issue at the switch site. Or in the Media Room outlet.
(Any way to easily diagnose this?)

i called a low voltage guy. $150 minimum call out.

If I work on this myself and need to buy tools can anyone advise on the minimum toolset required?
If you have in-wall network cabling, I recommend getting a basic network cable tester. Something like this -- https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Connections-Klein-Tools-VDV526-200/dp/B0925826M2?th=1