[SOLVED] Input delays that resolve temporarily after reboot

Nitrousbird

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2012
Win 10, all updates. Older rig - i7 4770k, Asus Maximus VI Hero MB, 16GB ram, GTX1060, OS on an Intel SSD, plus a couple more spinning disks for storage. PC's main use is general web browsing and as my Plex server. Logitech K750 keyboard. Logitech G700s mouse.

The issue has been going on for a while, where everything is great after a reboot. Then, anywhere from several hours to a couple of days later, I begin getting delaying in keyboard entries and mouse clicks/scrolling (impacts the pointer slightly, where it is choppy, but still moves). These delays last 1-4 seconds and all inputs you entered during the "frozen" time will show up thereafter.

Never impacts video playbacks locally or anything via Plex on my TVs.

I recently did a clean Win10 install in hopes of correcting this, but the problem is back. It gets progressively worse the longer you wait to reboot...typing this right now, I get the delay about once a minute, maybe less.

I'll throw new parts at the problem to fix this if need be - but I'm not sure exactly what is causing this, especially when it clears up temporarily at a reboot.

Solution
Win 10, all updates. Older rig - i7 4770k, Asus Maximus VI Hero MB, 16GB ram, GTX1060, OS on an Intel SSD, plus a couple more spinning disks for storage. PC's main use is general web browsing and as my Plex server. Logitech K750 keyboard. Logitech G700s mouse.

The issue has been going on for a while, where everything is great after a reboot. Then, anywhere from several hours to a couple of days later, I begin getting delaying in keyboard entries and mouse clicks/scrolling (impacts the pointer slightly, where it is choppy, but still moves). These delays last 1-4 seconds and all inputs you entered during the "frozen" time will show up thereafter.

I...

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that precede the keyboard delays.

Reliability History is much more user friendly and the time line format may highlight some change that occurs.

Manually download the applicable keyboard drivers via Logitech's website. Reinstall and reconfigure. Just the basic drivers.

Forego Logitech Options , Logitech Control Center, etc..

Determine if reinstalling the keyboard drivers ends the problem.

= = = =

If not....

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (use both but only one at time) to observe system performance. First when everything is great after a reboot and then again when the delay's begin.

There could be some app or utility launching to update, backup, phone home, etc. that initiates the problem.

Look in Task Manager > Startup for any thing being launched at boot up. Task Scheduler may also provide a clue. Look for anything unexpected or unrecognized. Then google accordingly to determine if it can be safely disabled and perhaps later uninstalled.

Process Explorer (free via Microsoft) can help look for rogue software.

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

I recently did a clean Win10 install in hopes of correcting this, but the problem is back. It gets progressively worse the longer you wait to reboot...typing this right now, I get the delay about once a minute, maybe less.

I'll throw new parts at the problem to fix this if need be - but I'm not sure exactly what is causing this, especially when it clears up temporarily at a reboot.
Just to take a peak under the hood run this.
Speccy - Free Download

Now read this and post a link to the speccy run.
Speccy...publish

Solution