[SOLVED] Input devices don't work after loading Windows 7

SignalRaptor

Prominent
Jan 11, 2020
I recently moved my storage device (500 gb ssd) from my 12 year old Asus laptop to my newly functioning tower. The laptop had an Intel CPU and a Radeon gpu, where as my tower is Intel and Nvidia with an MSI motherboard. In the bios, I can use the keyboard and mouse. Shortly after post I can use f8 to enter the safe mode screen. Anything after that and input devices don't work, so I'm stuck at the log in screen. I have legacy USB or whatever it's called enabled, and tried a whole bunch of stuff from other threads. I have numlock enabled in the bios settings, so when the numlock light goes out I know when the keyboard is dead. During the ” starting Windows" screen and "loading Windows files" for safe mode. How can I fix this? I would like to use my computer again.

Solution
Welp, I have an MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON motherboard. So I need to install Windows 10 over it then. Can I keep my personal files from Windows 7? It's been forever since I've had to do this, and the last upgrade wasn't from exterior installation media.
Honestly, I would get a new SSD instead. Assuming your installation of Windows 7 will even work on your Z390 motherboard, you could also buy a compatible USB 3.0 and or 2.0 card and install the drivers through the same procedure as the motherboard USB 3.0 drivers. I haven't done much research into what cards will work well and which are good quality for this specific problem. You would only be able to use that card for USB function in Windows though. You would likely still...
And how do I fix that from outside windows without an input device?
Ignoring the fact that you should have installed a fresh copy of Windows instead of moving a drive, what is your new systems motherboard model? If it has at least a PS/2 port for a mouse/keyboard, and if you have an adapter to use a USB mouse, you should be able to install the drivers required for USB to function. You will need to go to the support page of your motherboard to download the required drivers assuming they exist for Windows 7. You might need to find the Windows on screen keyboard or copy and paste each letter of the motherboard model in web search to get to the page to download the driver. You are unlikely to find USB 3.0 drivers for newer motherboards that do not have an Asmedia or other brand USB 3.0 controller. Intel Z390 and AMD X570 boards no longer have Windows 7 compatible ports like Intel 100-300 series and AMD B/X 300/400 series.

Edit - This is the adapter I'm talking about. https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-USB-Mouse-PS-Adapter/dp/B0002ZQG24

SignalRaptor

Prominent
Jan 11, 2020
Intel Z390 and AMD X570 boards no longer have Windows 7 compatible ports like Intel 100-300 series and AMD B/X 300/400 series.
Welp, I have an MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON motherboard. So I need to install Windows 10 over it then. Can I keep my personal files from Windows 7? It's been forever since I've had to do this, and the last upgrade wasn't from exterior installation media.

Honestly, I would get a new SSD instead. Assuming your installation of Windows 7 will even work on your Z390 motherboard, you could also buy a compatible USB 3.0 and or 2.0 card and install the drivers through the same procedure as the motherboard USB 3.0 drivers. I haven't done much research into what cards will work well and which are good quality for this specific problem. You would only be able to use that card for USB function in Windows though. You would likely still need to have your keyboard plugged into the motherboard to access bios. Your only other options would be Windows 10 or Linux.

Solution