[SOLVED] Input from community on new pc build

astensland

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2013
Hi guys

I would like to get input from the community regarding building a new PC. I have an old Ivy Bridge 3770K that needs replacement. I will “salvage” 3 things from my old pc that will be moved to the new build:

• Nvidia 1080 TI Founders edition
  • Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD
  • Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB SSD

My 2 main priorities are silence and stability. In other words, I am not going to overclock the CPU or the GPU. Aesthetics (LED lights and other “bling”) is not important at all as the case will be placed under the desk and not be very visible.

Here are my thoughts on components with comments:

Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Mid Tower
Why
: Big and well isolated. Very quiet, which is important. Plan on 2 intake fans front and 1 exhaust fan back. Do I need more fans? One at bottom (intake) and one exhaust on the top? Other cases I should consider that are spacoius and quiet? I need at least one M2 slot and room for 2 2.5" SSD's.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 – 3900X
Why
: Very solid performance, including single thread. Future proof.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra
Why
: Gigabyte has a good reputation and pretty good and stable bios (I guess no one has a perfectly stable bios?). I plan on only using 2 RAM sockets (2x16 GB). To utilize dual channel memoryI need to use slot 2 and 4 on the motherboard, where slot 1 is closes to the CPU and slot 4 is farthest away. Hopefully the Noctua cpu cooler fits with 2 fans. Do I really need the X570 chipset, or will the new B550 chipset do the same trick as I am not overclocking?

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600Mhz (2x16) CL16 (16-19-19-39)
Why
: I have read that 3600Mhz CL16 is faster than 3200Mhz CL14, but I might be wrong. Any thoughts? Will this conflict with the Noctua CPU cooler? The cooler is 165mm tall, and the case I have selected fits 185mm max. This means I have some room to adjust one of the fans up a little bit to make it easier to fit the RAM.

SSD: Corsair MP600 1 TB M2 SSD
Why
: Seems to be the fastest (and most stable?) of the PCIe 4 M2 SSD’s. Will the heatsink on this SSD conflict with the CPU cooler or anything else on the motherboard? The M2 will be the boot device and where Windows will be installed. Should I consider a PCIe 3 M2 instead? For example the Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB?

Power supply: Corsair HX850i, 850W PSU
Why
: Want a 850W power supply. Corsair seems to do well in reviews and this seem to be a stable and silent PSU.

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Why
: Seem to be doing very well in tests and also very silent. Not to far behind water cooling solutions and more quiet as I understand it. Bulkier though, and need to verify that it will fit with selected motherboard and RAM when using 2 fans on the cooler. I would like to use both fans because it will cool better and I might also slow the fans down to make it more quiet. Should I consider a water cooling solution? Remember I prioritize silent operation, does water cooling solutions make more noise? Also, I want no maintenance on this, so it can't be a soltion where I need to refill coolant or anything. Thoughts?

GPU: nVidia 1080TI Founders Edition
Why
: Already own it and is not up for renewal at this point. Reason for buying the Founders edition was that it it uses a closed cooling solution that exhausts the heat at the back, outside the case. Other third party vendors uses open fans that will circulate the heat inside the case. The card will be upgraded in the future (Nvidia 3000 or 4000 series?).

Any thoughts, tips and comments are very welcome. Anything I have not thought of? Any components that does not fit well together?

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
Three immediate thoughts:

1) This - " the case will be placed under the desk and not be very visible." Okay provided that the case is not going to be placed in some small enclosed cupboard-like compartment with a door. You do not want any airflow restrictions.

2) RAM - Refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual for the specific RAM modules and configurations that are, indeed, supported by the motherboard. Often the Manual will refer you back to the manufacturer's website for more up-to-date information including the QVL (Qualified Vendor's List). Details matter so pay close attention to all fine print and footnotes. Be sure to correctly match your motherboard: model, version, etc..

3) Be sure to carefully read all...

Ralston18

Titan
Three immediate thoughts:

1) This - " the case will be placed under the desk and not be very visible." Okay provided that the case is not going to be placed in some small enclosed cupboard-like compartment with a door. You do not want any airflow restrictions.

2) RAM - Refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual for the specific RAM modules and configurations that are, indeed, supported by the motherboard. Often the Manual will refer you back to the manufacturer's website for more up-to-date information including the QVL (Qualified Vendor's List). Details matter so pay close attention to all fine print and footnotes. Be sure to correctly match your motherboard: model, version, etc..

3) Be sure to carefully read all component documentation beforehand and pre-plan the actual physical build step-by-step. Have a clean well-lit work area with all tools and documentation handy. Take your time. If a problem or question comes up then solve it immediately. Do not proceed in hopes of coming back and applying a later fix. Do not rush the job and stop if you get tired or distracted.

Reactions: astensland
Solution