Input Lag/Delay that is not due to monitor, mouse, or keyboard

MCazzi

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016
Hey everyone! As of the last month or so I am getting major input delay issues when playing any game. It seems that the delay is fairly non-existent when I first start playing, and gets worse as I play for longer. I play Fortnite and LoL primarily, and it seems that, especially during Fortnite, when I am in an intense gunfight or build-off, the delay gets worse. I have also recently hooked up a second screen (a small insignia TV, just to have some fun and try it out), which also seems to be causing some delay. So from this information, I suspect it is an issue with my GPU. I have never had this issue in the past, meaning that I have never noticed increases in delay. I do not play with V-SYNC on, and I have also tried switching out my mouse, and changing monitors, which does not seem to have solved the issue. I have tried multiple USB ports, different settings in my games, etc. Pretty much anything I can, I have tried. Is my hardware deteriorating? Or is it perhaps a recent update or driver? I am frustrated and lost, as it seems like I have tried everything. The following is my entire setup:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Kingston - SSDNow UV400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
GPU: Gigabyte - Radeon R9 380X 4GB WINDFORCE 2X Video Card
Case: DIYPC - Solo-T1-BK ATX Mid Tower Case
Power supply: EVGA - 400W ATX Power Supply
Keyboard & Mouse: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate, Razer Deathadder Elite
Monitor: Samsung S22E310H 21.5" LED Monitor

Here are some screenshots of MSI that I took during/right after a CSGO match:
https://gyazo.com/dd01e425d1cbcb2af83403582b9cf6b7
https://gyazo.com/bc758f221bfadb603d3c70ed4c64a0eb
https://gyazo.com/c0ac2d6655f95737111f0902de82d9be
https://gyazo.com/0c9fe8c9d1f451545fb6100a661ca925

I am fairly certain that it is not a single issue, but just sitting here typing with Fortnite open, MSI is reading my GPU usage at 98%-99%. So I think its a major factor. Also a good thing to mention, I do not really have FPS drops at all, I stay around 100-120, and it will minorly drop during intense game actions. I really appreciate whoever takes the time to read through this, and I hope you all have a great day!

Solution
Looking at your component list, the processor is your weakest link. The i5-6400 is a 2.7 GHz processor (3.3 GHz Turbo). The next big issue is the 400 watt power supply. That is 100 watts shy of the system requirement of 500 watts for the GPU.

But the increasing lag that you mention is at least partially due to heat. I would look into the temperatures while you are gaming. If you are using that much of your GPU resources, it has to be generating a lot of heat. That heat can throttle back your GPU or CPU.
Looking at your component list, the processor is your weakest link. The i5-6400 is a 2.7 GHz processor (3.3 GHz Turbo). The next big issue is the 400 watt power supply. That is 100 watts shy of the system requirement of 500 watts for the GPU.

But the increasing lag that you mention is at least partially due to heat. I would look into the temperatures while you are gaming. If you are using that much of your GPU resources, it has to be generating a lot of heat. That heat can throttle back your GPU or CPU.

Solution
It won't be the GPU, running without vsync you would expect to see close to 100% usage......besides, the GPU is never responsible for input lag.

Looking at the CPU usage, it's very high across all the cores, and I suspect it's your problem. You need to reduce it's load, and turning vsync on would be a good start. Apart from that, are you running other background programs (other than msi afterburner), such as anti-virus etc? If you are, either shut them down or set them not to run while you're in game.

Not to be too hard on your system, but the i5-6400 does have a very low clock speed for a modern CPU and isn't a good choice for a gaming PC. If you're serious about gaming, you may want to get a faster CPU.

MCazzi

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016

Thank you for the reply. I will definitely look into the temperatures, I have not noticed any major increases but I will keep an eye out. What do you reccommend as a better processor, as well as power supply? What would compliment my build the best, at a decent price?

MCazzi

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016

Thank you for the advice! I have turned on VSync in the past with some games, which worked well (H1Z1 and CSGO at one point), but Fortnite's VSync option actually makes the input delay worse. I do my best to not keep anything open in the background, at most it will be MSI and Discord. You are not hurting my feelings I promise! I am still fairly new so I was unaware of the lacking ability of my CPU. What CPU would you recommend that would compliment my build the best? One that is relatively affordable, but I am willing to pay a decent amount if this issue subsides.