Question Input Lag/Display Problems Related to Power?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrucialNUGS

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Well here goes, Ive been dealing with this issue for awhile so hopefully I can get some advice.

Symptoms:

Input lag across the board in both games and windows, both mouse and keyboard inputs are inconsistent and change over time. At times the dpi increments on my mouse hardly change the sensitivity, other times it adjusts a ton. The monitor display suffers hitches, and micro stutters, of the same varying consistency. Makes game play at 140fps and below look and feel like 60 or lower. Internet webpages load slower, you tube videos and twitch buffer at random times with no packet loss. At times the lag is minimal at times its unbearable. The input lag and video hitches seem entirely inconsistent however I have found that nearly any hardware state change/software change can affect it to varying degrees. This is 100% not a software problem as I have seen this across multiple versions of Windows, games, a Nintendo switch as well.

Things I have tried:

3 different PC's (completely different specs)
3 different monitors (120hz, 144hz, 240hz)
5 different mice (Logitech G-Pro x2 models , Razer Deathadder x3 models)
3 different mousepads
3 different keyboards
Using different circuits and configurations around the house. (some work better than others, however input lag is still present)
Different power strips, power conditioners
Tested for outlet grounding with 3 pronged tester.

Things that change the mouse/keyboard behavior and monitors display quality:

Moving the monitor/router/modems/pcs power cord to different outlets, different power strips etc. Note: My Wi-Fi does not even work if my router/modem are on the same outlet/power strip- the signal shows up but no connection.
Changing which USB ports the keyboard/mice are plugged into.
Applying tinfoil to any power cord, or mice/keyboard USB cables.
Applying Ferrite beads to any of the above cords.
Changing nearly any BIOS/Windows 10 settings.
Adjusting GPU fan/power settings.
Adjusting nearly any settings in NVIDIA control panel change the mouse behavior.
Adjusting/propping up the GPU (seems like the positioning changes mouse behavior heavily).
Changing case fan profiles- usually lowering fan speed/power is better.
Monitor settings (brightness, color, resolution).
Placing phone onto the PC case (doubles mouse sensitivity immediately).
Changing where the router/modem is or moving the power cords.
Separating all cables from each other.

Other things of note:

Nintendo Switch controllers have the same input lag.
PC hums when its plugged in but not on. Sound quality on headphones/speakers is occasionally better or worst. Speakers have an audible hum.

So I am a bit at a loss, it has to be something with my houses wiring or a ground loop being created somewhere, raising the noise floor in the system which in turns causes data loss? There seems to be others out there with nearly the exact same symptoms but none of the solutions they have given so far seem to solve the problem indefinitely. The input lag always comes back and mouse/keyboard behavior is totally inconsistent. At times it operates nearly perfectly but not for long.

I am considering purchasing a double conversion UPS as some people recommended that if it is power related, which I do not see how it couldn't be. Anyway if you have any thoughts/advice it would be much appreciated. There seems to be more than a few people out there with this problem or close to it. A few of us cross referenced symptoms and affects and found nearly the exact same things. How can I fix it if its a ground loop or other power related issue? Thanks if this is the wrong place to ask point me in the right direction.

Some other threads/docs relating to the issue:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/bafhfe/update_after_years_of_mouse_input_lag_and_other/

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/5kdwoq/mouse_movement_is_delayedweirdinconsistent_and/

https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-i...os-optimization-guide-modern-pc-hardware.html

https://www.overclock.net/forum/375...my-mouse-lag-general-input-lag-problem-5.html

https://community.amd.com/thread/235028

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?16546-Major-input-lag-caused-by-Power-issues-in-House

Reactions: MrVIT

CrucialNUGS

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Can you read? I talked about all of this. Went into great depth about how it is not our hardware at all. Stop asking me for some easy solution, if I had it I would have told you ages ago, and would not suffer this problem still. Either put the work in to help troubleshoot this or focus your efforts on moving to a different location with proper wiring practices.

Apr 26, 2020
pff alright I solved the problem. The problem was my samsung nvme m2 ssd 960 evo.. It shows 100% health and no bad sectors but while Im using it pc goes to hell. Input lags, display lags, sound stuttering etc. Guys please just try a new ssd. Trust me your problem is going to be solved.

Apr 8, 2020
pff alright I solved the problem. The problem was my samsung nvme m2 ssd 960 evo.. It shows 100% health and no bad sectors but while Im using it pc goes to hell. Input lags, display lags, sound stuttering etc. Guys please just try a new ssd. Trust me your problem is going to be solved.
No it's not a hard drive problem , please read the whole topic to know what exactly we are talking about .

Apr 26, 2020
Btw, I bought a samsung evo 860 500gb sata ssd and my pc likes a rocket for now. I don't know maybe my pc doesnt love m2 ssd or maybe it needs some settings. Anyway Im happy. M2 SSDs can go to hell.

Apr 8, 2020
bro I had that all problems. My pc was changing time to time. Because ssd was going to crazy. Anyway everything is very good anymore at least for me.
happy for you but this isn't the right topic for your hard drive problem , our problem is an electric problem and we changed everything and we tried many PCs and many hard drives without a fix ...

Apr 26, 2020
happy for you but this isn't the right topic for your hard drive problem , our problem is an electric problem and we changed everything and we tried many PCs and many hard drives without a fix ...
Please try a new sata ssd. You will never lose anything. This all topic is right for me. I had all problems in this topic.

CrucialNUGS

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Please try a new sata ssd. You will never lose anything. This all topic is right for me. I had all problems in this topic.

Alright cut it out already. You did not read the OP. I have 2 NVME SSDs, and a Samsung SATA 860 like you. I also have an older Mushkin SSD, and an old HDD. My laptop has an SSD as well. Is that enough for you? Maybe I should mention my roomates PC with another HDD displayed all these exact issues. You realize that is 5 PCs and consoles, TVs, laptops, and cable boxes. So no it is not my SSDs or any of my hardware. This is an electrical issue, but I am glad you came and polluted the thread for a problem you don't have.

Reactions: kassas77
Apr 26, 2020
Alright cut it out already. You did not read the OP. I have 2 NVME SSDs, and a Samsung SATA 860 like you. I also have an older Mushkin SSD, and an old HDD. My laptop has an SSD as well. Is that enough for you? Maybe I should mention my roomates PC with another HDD displayed all these exact issues. You realize that is 5 PCs and consoles, TVs, laptops, and cable boxes. So no it is not my SSDs or any of my hardware. This is an electrical issue, but I am glad you came and polluted the thread for a problem you don't have.

Hahahaha appreciated for that. I hope you have those problems forever after your words.

Jun 15, 2020
Out of curiosity, is your house connected to an overhead power line?

I am considering moving to different location but overhead powerlines and underground power cables should not cause an input lag problem like this?
What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.