Input lag in games for years

Feb 5, 2019
Hi, I've had an issue for years where in graphic intensive games my frames usually stay fine (above 60 fps) but my input delay skyrockets. It doesn't happen in every game, for example in counter strike it is hardly noticeable, but if I try to play games like PUBG or Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 my input lag makes it unplayable. My specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k
GPU: Geforce GTX 1060
RAM: 16384MB
PSU: 650 Watt iirc
Monitor model #: Acer H236HL bid

These are my NVIDIA control panel settings
http://
http://

I've recently overclocked my GPU a bit and it seems to have helped tremendously in Overwatch but I still have to play some games like Apex Legends in low resolution to make it even semi playable with the amount of input lag I have.

Some maybe important things to note, I don't know if they are helpful or not: Sometimes capping my fps at 60 helps my input delay in certain games, sometimes it doesn't. Some graphically intensive games like The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Dark Souls 3, and Monster Hunter World run smooth as butter with no input delay. I'm not sure if this is because they are just optimized better or because they aren't fps games so it's not as noticeable or relevant but it is just something I have noticed. I'll keep editing this if I think of anything new that might help.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated :)

You're looking in all the wrong places. Input lag is usually caused by the display and/or control devices you use. The problem is I've searched high and low and cannot find any input lag tests on that monitor. Worse yet many so called reviews are claiming the input lag must be low merely due to the 5ms response time, and many are even confusing response spec with input lag spec, when one is only a measure of the grey to grey color shift time when pixels change color, and the other the time between control use and it's input showing onscreen.

As for control devices, usually it's wireless ones that have input lag issues, but usually monitors are lower input lag than TVs, except for TVs that have Game modes that mute most of the processing.

There's a couple ways you could test for this, I'll mention the easiest first. If you have wireless control devices, most now a days can be used with the charging wire plugged in. Test them that way and see if the lag diminishes. If you have a friend you can borrow a monitor from to do a quick input lag test, that would help, but it would have to be a monitor that is a common model that is known to have low input lag.

Feb 5, 2019

My control devices are all wired and the response time on my desktop and in many games is perfectly fine so I don't think the issue is with the devices. I have also gone through multiple mice and have experienced the same issue. Unfortunately I don't have any access to another monitor I could do any testing on which makes it tough to rule that out as the cause. I have had suspicions about my monitor being the source of my issues since it is fairly old (I think I got it back in 2014 iirc). But I can't be sure enough to fork out the cash for a new one.