Question Input lag in halo infinite

elric91

Commendable
Jan 6, 2021
I Made the mistake to update to the latest driver,i was doin fine,with the 511.65 versión ,after i Start playing on the controller aim feels heavy AND not enjoyable,i was having the same problem months ago,but inwas using a gtx 980 ,i bought a new gpu rtx 3060 AND problem was fixed but kept the same driver i had for the 980.the only thinkg i did was to chance the low latency mode to ultra to test if it improved but everyrhing was worst,installed the same driver i had before (511.65)but the high input lag kept,dont know what to do halo infinite Is the only game i play, so its important for me so i can play it in the Nights after work.

Setup
Msi rtx 3060 gaming x
Xeon 2689 processor2.60hz
16 GB Server ram dual channel -x79 machinist mother board- Windows 10 pro
Thanks for the services AND help beforehand

It helps to use a thorough GPU driver uninstaller before installing new drivers, especially when changing GPUs, as fragments of the old GPU's identity can remain.

Try this if you haven't, and make sure you use it in Safe Mode as they recommend. https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v18051-released

I also recommend following Digital Foundry's guide on graphics settings for Halo Infinite, and if you by chance get light sources flickering after applying settings, make sure you reboot before launching the game. After I did this I was able to play with better than expected settings on my GTX 1080, and I never had any problems after driver updates.

Halo Infinite is a great game that I enjoyed so much I ended up making a video guide on how to beat it on Legendary with no upgrades, and tool wise only using the base grappleshot. I wouldn't want to see anyone's experience with it be soured by lag.

Last edited:
Reactions: elric91

elric91

Commendable
Jan 6, 2021
It helps to use a thorough GPU driver uninstaller before installing new drivers, especially when changing GPUs, as fragments of the old GPU's identity can remain.

Try this if you haven't, and make sure you use it in Safe Mode as they recommend. https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v18051-released

I also recommend following Digital Foundry's guide on graphics settings for Halo Infinite, and if you by chance get light sources flickering after applying settings, make sure you reboot before launching the game. After I did this I was able to play with better than expected settings on my GTX 1080, and I never had any problems after driver updates.

Halo Infinite is a great game that I enjoyed so much I ended up making a video guide on how to beat it on Legendary with no upgrades, and tool wise only using the base grappleshot. I wouldn't want to see anyone's experience with it be soured by lag.
Hey Man thanks for taking your Time and respond ,i really appreciate it,i did Everything you put on the post AND helped me a lot,the game Run smoothly not as good as it was but improved,i have already done a cleaan Windows install, but i Guess some stuff remained from the previous installations, game runs 15-20 fps more,i have a question if i change to a new ssd, it should inprove too ?so the OS AND drivers áre installed from scratch(0).i was about to buy a new processor AND motherboard ,my budget Is límited at the moment so i was gonna sell something so i can get it to work,but i think Is something about the software not the hardware because sometimes present tthe issue AND sometimes Is doing well.and thanks agains for tour Time.

You should list your full spec, including PSU and drives, especially the ones used for OS and game installation. Also list OS build version.

Regarding the SSD, always make sure you check the usual things before assuming you need a new one, especially if on a budget. It's recommended to have at least 15% free space on ANY type of drive, and that's 15% of the actual space, not the advertised. Also make sure you have the latest firmware for the drive installed, and make sure TRIM is working. Most drive manufacturers also have free software to test the health of the drive, but with non mechanical drives (SSD, NVMe), this is often just estimated via how many writes it's done.

Also, you have a certain degree of bottleneck with that build, meaning the CPU isn't quite powerful enough to match the power of the GPU. This varies quite a bit depending on resolution used. 3840 x 2160 is the sweet spot for general (non gaming) calculations, at just under 2% bottleneck. Things change considerably when gaming though, especially since the 3060 is not quite powerful enough to get decent frame rates at 4K on a lot of games. So in some games, the GPU will show as the weak link depending on resolution used.

This is why it's very important to list full hardware spec AND what types of games you play, what level of graphics settings you prefer to use, and what resolution you play at, whenever the topic touches on the possibility of a bottleneck and/or possible hardware upgrades.

At any rate, if that is at all confusing, this site can help make sense of things. With it you can plug in your CPU and GPU or any you're considering upgrading to, as well as a wide variety of games, and it will show you exactly how much and what type of bottleneck will result. Unfortunately Halo Infinite is not one of the games listed in the calculator.

As mentioned above, I also highly recommend consulting a good graphics settings guide for any games you might be having performance issues with. I find Digital Foundry to be the best, but I've found some decent ones others have done as well.

Note that I played Halo Infinite with keyboard and mouse, but those using gamepad on the PC version are definitely indicating there's some kind of aiming issues that can result using gamepad, which might be related to controller detection problems as far as I can tell.

This video though seems to show a simple way to correct it.

I hope any or all of this solves your problem. ;)

Last edited:

elric91

Commendable
Jan 6, 2021
Omg long post mate,i Will try every single thing you posted,i forgot to mention the SSD i am Talkin' about was used on a laptop, AND was having the exact same problem,before that i was using the HDD with no problems AND i decided to change the HDD of the laptop to an SSD AND the problem began ,i did the crystal disk test to see if the SSD was broken but no.i have used the same SSD since then the load times are fast,i dont know if that's a coincidence but playing máster chief colecction was having the same issue since i changed the HDD to am ssd

Omg long post mate,i Will try every single thing you posted,i forgot to mention the SSD i am Talkin' about was used on a laptop, AND was having the exact same problem,before that i was using the HDD with no problems AND i decided to change the HDD of the laptop to an SSD AND the problem began ,i did the crystal disk test to see if the SSD was broken but no.i have used the same SSD since then the load times are fast,i dont know if that's a coincidence but playing máster chief colecction was having the same issue since i changed the HDD to am ssd
Well, since your main problem seems to be input lag while aiming, and you're using a gamepad, I'm leaning toward that being the problem. So make sure you look at that 2nd video I posted and the fix in it mentioned. It may very well be the only thing you need to do.

That said, when I was first setting up Halo Infinite, I was experiencing a bit of frame rate lag. Once I applied Digital Foundry's recommended settings then rebooted though, it's played fine. The game seems a tad finicky about how settings are applied, so make sure you reboot after doing so.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
I think your problem is playing that game at all. It has less players than BF2042 now and that says a lot lol.
Anyway, it might be a latency issue with some of your software or drivers, maybe the buffer settings in the graphics card software.

I haven't played TMCC on a solid state drive, but I played Infinite on my EVO 970 NVMe drive with no problems.
I think your problem is playing that game at all. It has less players than BF2042 now and that says a lot lol.
Anyway, it might be a latency issue with some of your software or drivers, maybe the buffer settings in the graphics card software.
I don't see how many people playing it online is relevant since he didn't mention whether he was playing online or the campaign, and is a matter of personal preference anyway.

Also, a lot of people that play the game just play the campaign, which many feel is the best in the franchise yet.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS