Input Lag returns about an hour after factory reset

Sep 11, 2018
I factory reset my computer a couple days ago, today I used a restore point to go back to right when I downloaded all my games. Everything was very fast and snappy, like how it should be. But, after about an hour of playing, it started feeling sluggish again. It feels like my mouse is on ice and my keyboard is frozen because of how slow it all was. My performance was still perfectly fine, my game wasn't stuttering or lagging at all but my mouse and keyboard input felt very bad.. I didn't install anything either or have anything running in the background.

I turned off Windows Defender, I don't have an anti-virus to disable, XBOX Game DVR is disabled, Game Bar is disabled, and basically every standard procedure I have done. VSYNC off, FXAA off, settings low, 144HZ is set, Pre-Rendered Frames 1, etc.

Temps are great as well, I really have no idea why this is happening. Please, please, please, please help me!! Thank you!

PC SPECS:
(Full Part List)
i7 8700K
GTX 1080
Asrock Z370 Extreme4
TridentZ 32GB RAM 3000MHz 14CL
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
No HDD

DXDIAG
MSINFO32
Services

Solution
As I see it there couple of possible causes. The first is a problem with system resources. The second is software or driver related.

You mentioned that you had reset Windows several times. You also mentioned that you had restored the system to a previous restore point. Was that a restore point after the reset? Why was it necessary to go to a restore point from two days before?

It is a possibility that malware was downloaded when the games were downloaded. Who knows? But apparently you aren't using anti-malware besides defender (which is off). Malware is a possibility that would cause the system to slow.

Now for the next possible cause. What you describe is similar to a system freeze. Freezes are most often cause by a...
You can check by going to Windows 10 Settings. Then click on Update and Security. It should give you the status there.

On that same page you can select Troubleshoot from the menu on the side. I would try Troubleshoot Windows Update and then Troubleshoot Keyboard.

Sep 11, 2018

I go on the update page and it doesn't say that it's updating. The Windows Update service isn't running either. The Update Orchestrater Service is always running but nothing is actually updating. If I restore it back to the restore point, it will be the same thing..

This is what shows under "Background processes" in Task Manager.
9D19F705C24CD33FB25974EA40C08A7421296BB9

Sep 11, 2018

How would I have malware after a factory reset?
CPU Usage:
1B6EED6F2B43BCED0E9C11EDA56690FE51E7786C

Memory Usage:
D41647B1434236E7A913FB0CE39A9CC39F9410E4

The only things I have downloaded are Steam, Battlenet, CS:GO, Rocket League, Firefox, and Winrar. I have literally not downloaded anything besides the basics and I had Defender enabled when I did download them.

I restored for the third time today and the same thing happened, a little after an hour of playing it's back. It doesn't feel very "delayed", it feels sluggish and almost like my keyboard is all of a sudden using analogue and it's not being triggered all the way.. A friend of mine came over and said the same thing and I didn't even tell him about this issue which also rules out that it's just a placebo.

EDIT: I even disabled Windows Update service this time, so yeah it is definitely not updating in the background.
Firefox is not open when I'm playing either, I just opened it.

As I see it there couple of possible causes. The first is a problem with system resources. The second is software or driver related.

You mentioned that you had reset Windows several times. You also mentioned that you had restored the system to a previous restore point. Was that a restore point after the reset? Why was it necessary to go to a restore point from two days before?

It is a possibility that malware was downloaded when the games were downloaded. Who knows? But apparently you aren't using anti-malware besides defender (which is off). Malware is a possibility that would cause the system to slow.

Now for the next possible cause. What you describe is similar to a system freeze. Freezes are most often cause by a software problem. This can be an incompatible or corrupted device driver. It can also be a corrupted or missing system file. And lastly it can be a corrupted or incompatible BIOS (or chip set drivers).

All of these software issues would be unaffected by the Windows 10 reset. It would fix a corrupted system file though.
So I would suggest trying the same procedures to correct a system freeze problem.

That is the systematic download and install of all of the major device drivers first. Download and install the latest graphics driver from http://www.geforce.com/drivers . Use the custom install with the Clean install option. Don't use any of the Windows drivers. Download these drivers directly from the manufacturer website for the device.

Next update the Audio drivers and motherboard drivers. If there are any drivers or utilities associated with the mice and keyboard download and install those too. Then reevaluate the system.

If the problem persists, then update the motherboard BIOS. If needed, do a fresh install of Windows 10 from a downloaded Windows 10 ISO (without saving files).

Solution
Sep 11, 2018

I downloaded my games from Steam, not from torrenting. Like I said, I had Windows Defender and Firewall on when I was downloading the few things. That doesn't really explain why it happens after about an hour of playing, though. That seems more like a scheduled Windows task or overheating, but in this case it's not overheating. The same exact thing happens after a factory reset. My restore point goes back before I even opened any games which means before DirectX and C++ are downloaded. I have tried downloading straight from Nvidia, but that didn't help either. I used the newest drivers and I tried old drivers that were known to be pretty good.

My BIOS is updated, nothing changes when I use the newest Realtek drivers so I just uninstall them and use the normal "High Definition Audio Device" drivers. I also occasionally check Task Manager for system usage while I'm playing, but it's never above 60% usage unless I'm rendering something or doing a stress test / benchmark. When I am not playing, my usage is around 5-10% with a browser open and less than 5% without a browser open.

I am going to run the sfc /scannow and DISM commands in CMD and see if there are any corrupted files.
These are the results of both:
ED500C55B353749443FB84B217A5CA4B3792E174

259934711BFD51DD468614E0CDECA8FCA8096F5E

Last thing, I downloaded the ASROCK App Shop and it did say I have some missing / outdated drivers, so we'll see. Sorry for taking that out as an option.
C4F5A5F673C1AE533C110A6CD0812DD38139FBAD

Sep 11, 2018

I won't do the Memtest86 because it seems complicated, but I ran the memory diagnostic tool from Windows and it showed up with no errors. I ran a benchmark on my SSD as well, and it said my SSD was in the top 25th percentile or something like that. So that is fine.. I tried a Razer Blackwidow X Ultimate and a Logitech G303 as well, no difference. However, so far after using the ASROCK App Shop to update my drivers, it has been pretty smooth. For a little bit it was pretty bad but I opened task manager and there was this thing called "Game Bar Presence Writer", I ended the task and it felt normal again. I have Game DVR and all the Xbox services disabled, so I'm not sure what that's about..

Right now, I just have to disabled real-time protection every time I start up my PC and then I have to end the "Game Bar Presence Writer" task every time I start a game.. Definitely better than restoring my PC every day! :kikou:

TRENDING THREADS