Input lag with 4k monitor, but ONLY in-game

karlhungus80

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014
Hi,
I recently bought a Samsung UD590 4k monitor. There's very little input lag (it's a tn panel with a 1ms response time) as long as I'm not running a game (i.e., when browsing the net, etc). But as soon as I load one up, the lag is terrible (about a quarter of a second). It's worse at higher resolutions/graphics settings, but is terrible even at 1080p. I'm running two 7950s in crossfire, so the GPU isnt the issue. And there was no lag on my 1080p plasma before I bought the Samsung. Is this because I'm not using the displayport output (using the hdmi 1.4 instead), or should I give up and return the thing? It's perty, so I'd love to be able to make it work. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Solution
In addition to your monitor cable, you are also likely to run into frame pacing issues with your Crossfire setup on a 4K screen. Crossfire frame pacing didn't used to be supported on multiple monitors/Ultra High Definition. There may have been some "fixes" in recent driver releases, but it's unclear how much these will help your last gen graphics. In situations where frame pacing won't work, your performance will be no better than running a single card.

There have also been several threads over the past year or so where AMD users have complained about limitations within the AMD graphics driver in terms of full 4K @ 60 Hz support. My recommendation is to really do your research to see if these problems will affect you on your new...

-Lone-

Admirable
The problem is definitely HDMI 1.4, it can only run 4k@30Hz. You will need to use displayport, which CAN run 4k@60Hz. I had the same problem when I bought a Samsung 40 inch UHD TV, it was only capable of HDMI 1.4, I had constant screen tearing every time I turn in a game. So I went with a TV with displayport instead. So if you want to game at 4k@60Hz, you'll have to use a display port connection on that monitor, I had that monitor too before I changed to TVs :)

karlhungus80

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014

Thanks for the response. Two questions for you - will switching to DP fix the input lag as well? And my video card only has 3 outputs - 2 mini displayports, and a dual dvi-d. Are either (or any) acceptable to connect to the DP port on the monitor through a converter? Thanks again for the advice.

karlhungus80

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014

Thanks again man.

In addition to your monitor cable, you are also likely to run into frame pacing issues with your Crossfire setup on a 4K screen. Crossfire frame pacing didn't used to be supported on multiple monitors/Ultra High Definition. There may have been some "fixes" in recent driver releases, but it's unclear how much these will help your last gen graphics. In situations where frame pacing won't work, your performance will be no better than running a single card.

There have also been several threads over the past year or so where AMD users have complained about limitations within the AMD graphics driver in terms of full 4K @ 60 Hz support. My recommendation is to really do your research to see if these problems will affect you on your new monitor.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS