Question Input lag with higher speed RAM

Raerayu

Honorable
Nov 26, 2015
Just got a new mobo since last one had the same problem. I have input lag that gets worse based on the speed of my ram. If I run it at stock 2400 its bad, if I run it at 2133, it's slightly better. Is my ram deffective or my motherboard?

HyperX Fury DDR4 16gb 4x4 2400MHZ
ASUS PRIME Z270A

Do you have the XMP profile enable in the BIOS? If not, try that FIRST. Then if the problem remains, try bumping the DRAM (Memory) voltage up by .005-.020v. Running four sticks always puts more stress on the memory controller and increases stability issues without also adding additional voltage, in most cases.

You may also have a faulty stick, but that's less probable than other potential issues or else you'd likely see random errors or shut downs.

You might try removing two sticks, leaving only two sticks, installed in the A2 and B2 slots, to see if there are any issues then running at 2400mhz.

Raerayu

Honorable
Nov 26, 2015
Do you have the XMP profile enable in the BIOS? If not, try that FIRST. Then if the problem remains, try bumping the DRAM (Memory) voltage up by .005-.020v. Running four sticks always puts more stress on the memory controller and increases stability issues without also adding additional voltage, in most cases.

You may also have a faulty stick, but that's less probable than other potential issues or else you'd likely see random errors or shut downs.

You might try removing two sticks, leaving only two sticks, installed in the A2 and B2 slots, to see if there are any issues then running at 2400mhz.
XMP and higher voltage makes it worse. I was thinking maybe it isn't my ram but i'm not sure how to really test these things.

Have you tried it with only two sticks installed? In the slots that are second and fourth away from the CPU socket (A2 and B2 for most boards. A few boards might call them DDR4_1 and DDR4_2, but it will be the second and fourth away, for all modern boards)?

See if you still have the same problem with only two sticks installed? If you do, try swapping out one of the sticks for one of the two not currently installed. Problem still? Swap out the other stick for the remaining stick that hasn't been tried yet? Still a problem, likely the motherboard.

Before you do any of that though, make sure you have the MOST recent motherboard BIOS version installed, which would be version 1302 for the Prime Z270-A and which specifically addresses improvements in memory compatibility and performance.

Also, make sure that you have the LATEST available chipset drivers installed, which would be these:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28182/Chipset-INF-Utility?product=98089

Raerayu

Honorable
Nov 26, 2015
Have you tried it with only two sticks installed? In the slots that are second and fourth away from the CPU socket (A2 and B2 for most boards. A few boards might call them DDR4_1 and DDR4_2, but it will be the second and fourth away, for all modern boards)?

See if you still have the same problem with only two sticks installed? If you do, try swapping out one of the sticks for one of the two not currently installed. Problem still? Swap out the other stick for the remaining stick that hasn't been tried yet? Still a problem, likely the motherboard.

Before you do any of that though, make sure you have the MOST recent motherboard BIOS version installed, which would be version 1302 for the Prime Z270-A and which specifically addresses improvements in memory compatibility and performance.

Also, make sure that you have the LATEST available chipset drivers installed, which would be these:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28182/Chipset-INF-Utility?product=98089
I've tried only 2 sticks of RAM. I will try mixing them around in a bit. Do you think its my RAM or could it be my GPU? I've had lag on my last mobo and just got a new one.

If you had the same problem, with the same memory, on a different motherboard, then I'd say you have a problem someplace else like the memory itself, or the graphics card if it's the same card that you had then. I think I'd probably eliminate everything that isn't completely necessary, like secondary drives, graphics card (Use integrated graphics temporarily) etc. and see if you still have the same issues.