INQ: AMD releases more (Bull****) Barcelona "benches"

JPack

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
I love how they claim "It will blow away Clovertown," but then don't reveal any frequencies or compare it against Clovertown.

:lol:

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Not being a POV expert, I can't say how it scales, or really relate this to much. As an exercise for our readership, can someone work this backwards and tell me about what the clocks here are?

I ran this through the Alta Vista BabelFish translator, set to translate BullShitt to english. This is what it gave back:

Not having a clue how computers or benchmarks work, I can't say what this means or how it relates to anything. As Im too lazy, could one of the 18 people who read my blog figure this out for me?

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Task manager shows 8 cores on the left, 16 cores on the right. The rendered scene looks like the standard POVray benchmark which has predefined default settings.

If what Charlie says is true, 8 Opteron cores hit 2200 px/s and 16 Barcelona cores hit >4000 px/s. Both are 4-socket configurations, so the Opteron clocks are probably higher.

For reference, a single Merom core at 3.0 GHz using one channel of DDR2 hits about 520 px/s, but scaling is not quite linear, not to mention (1) Clovertown uses slower FB-DIMMs and (2) a 4S configuration for Clovertown may require separate nodes and thus utilize NUMA with further potential slowdown.

Edit: According to this link - http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cfm?ArticleID=RWT111406114244&p=2 - Clovertown exhibits nearly linear scaling in a 2S SMP configuration. With just 8 cores at 2.33GHz it nearly reaches the claimed benchmark readout from 16 Barcelona cores, clock unspecified. That makes AMD's bench very unimpressive.

shargrath

Distinguished
May 13, 2007
Not having a clue how computers or benchmarks work, I can't say what this means or how it relates to anything. As Im too lazy, could one of the 18 people who read my blog figure this out for me?

:trophy: :lol: LOL :lol: :trophy:

shargrath

Distinguished
May 13, 2007

:trophy: :lol: LOL :lol: :trophy:

papi4baby

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
Task manager shows 8 cores on the left, 16 cores on the right. The rendered scene looks like the standard POVray benchmark which has predefined default settings.

If what Charlie says is true, 8 Opteron cores hit 2200 px/s and 16 Barcelona cores hit >4000 px/s. Both are 4-socket configurations, so the Opteron clocks are probably higher.

For reference, a single Merom core at 3.0 GHz using one channel of DDR2 hits about 520 px/s, but scaling is not quite linear, not to mention (1) Clovertown uses slower FB-DIMMs and (2) a 4S configuration for Clovertown may require separate nodes and thus utilize NUMA with further potential slowdown.

Edit: According to this link - http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cfm?ArticleID=RWT111406114244&p=2 - Clovertown exhibits nearly linear scaling in a 2S SMP configuration. With just 8 cores at 2.33GHz it nearly reaches the claimed benchmark readout from 16 Barcelona cores, clock unspecified. That makes AMD's bench very unimpressive.
Well thanks for clearing that up, and posting up some numbers. Now like mentioned before, Barcelona does not look that impressive at all.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
This was my assessment -- but if this was a 1.8 GHz Barcey doing this then it is impressive, if it were a 2.2 GHz Barcey doing this, then it is not as impressive.... without clock details, this is quite meaningless.

How do you like that! I have to take off for a long weekend and when I come back, not only does Barcy still NOT EVEN REMOTELY EXIST ANYWHERE BUT IN HECTOR'S IMAGINATION, but JACK HAS BECOME A RASTA!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!

Not being a POV expert, I can't say how it scales, or really relate this to much. As an exercise for our readership, can someone work this backwards and tell me about what the clocks here are?

I ran this through the Alta Vista BabelFish translator, set to translate BullShitt to english. This is what it gave back:

Man, you had me rolling with that one. LOL!

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39756

As usual no clockspeeds given :lol:

Twice as many cores....twice as fast?
That's assuming POV ray scales well to multi core.
At lower clocks its impressive though.

Not sure what to conclude from this since....
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/intel-v8_11.html#sect0
That's only 8 cores. Was it the same bench.
Bleh AMD speculation, so annoying.

That task manager looks funny with so many thin cpu util bars! :idea:

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
This was my assessment -- but if this was a 1.8 GHz Barcey doing this then it is impressive, if it were a 2.2 GHz Barcey doing this, then it is not as impressive.... without clock details, this is quite meaningless.
Clock speed was roughly given when they specified that each socket was a 65W TDP part. This would be in the same power envelope as existing HE-series Opterons.

According to this table from last December, the parts should be around 1.9-2.0GHz:
http://bp0.blogger.com/_Z49NBhppzoY/RcWhUzjKndI/AAAAAAAAARg/3t64cnPFzek/s1600-h/BarcelonaModelNumbers.png

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
You know, the POV sorta-bench may or may not be impressive. But what is truly impressive is watching you guys dig around and work to reverse estimate the clock speeds and substantiate the relation of the results to other processors.

Kudos to all of you for your efforts and results! Well done!

:trophy: :trophy:

BigCharb

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
LMAO!!! this proves nothing! all i see is 4 Optys and 16 Barcey's, and the Barcey's are slower; if they did an equal benchmark then the Optys would have gotten around 4400 and the Barceys-4000. what are they proving? 16 low clocked barceys out perform 8 high clocked Optys?LMAO just throw my E6600 at them which is"high clocked" and we'll see who wins LOLOLOL

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
8O Holy S***; this means the Opteron performed equally (or even somehow better than the Barcelona (because doubling the cores in rendering, generally improves performance by a factor of 1.8-1.9X,.... I am starting to see why AMD is sticking with th powerPoint presentations; Barcelona SUCKS

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
We know that AMD has managed to outperform their own last gen CPUs.
Better than nothing :lol:
No man, they didn't! The only way that the barcelona system can somehow conform to their numbers is that the Opteron system features the newest 3.0Ghz Opterons and the barcelona is clocked @ 1.9Ghz.

I put your THG thread on this topic through my babelfish translater and came up with the following generic response from the hardcore members here:

"We are pissed off that we are last on the list to get any details on Barcelona so lets flame the Inq site out of pure frustration. Um ... the numbers are complex and confusing because we can't see the picture and put the words into some sort of meaningful context".

Grow up ... your flaming responses are childish.

I have a range of PC's with different processors ... suited to different applications. Intel and AMD.

Did you think the world would stand still while you clucked over your C2D cpu's you paid an arm and a leg for?

You should be thankful Intel's major campaign to destroy AMD hasn't yet succeeded ... or you would be kissing goodby to continued performance leaps.

Competition is crutial.

How come the Inq staff got to see a demo and not Dailytech or TGDaily??
That's a question you should be asking and the answer is quite simple ... but I'll let you find out for yourself.