Question Insane audio stuttering when system is under any load

AntaresSQ01

Reputable
Oct 10, 2016
Hi I have INSANE audio stuttering when under load. Seems to be a problem related to real time audio and system interrupts. I just simply have no idea how to fix it. Some games cause this issue more than others.

Things I tried:
-Power plan to high power
-Regedit to disable throttling
-disable background apps in windows settings
-occasionally unassigning some cores helps a little bit
-disable PBO/ set fixed clocks (no improvement)
-reinstall audio drivers.

At this point I'm pretty much stumped. One thing that seems to be causing this issue is running a dual monitor setup cos i never had these issues with only 1 monitor and when I disconnect the 2nd monitor the issues are not present after a reboot. Obviously I don't want to give up on my 2nd monitor though, so short of a clean windows install I've not a clue on what to do.

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X 4.5Ghz
Motherboard: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus Wi-Fi
Ram: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 @2666MHZ
SSD/HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SATA
Samsung HD204UI 2TB
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W
Asus Xonar DGX soundcard
Chassis: Corsair Carbide Series Spec-Delta

Here is a latencymon screenshot, beautiful red bars...

https://prnt.sc/sca5nh

Last edited:

AntaresSQ01

Reputable
Oct 10, 2016
Hey did you find a fix to this?
Nope, Tom's hardware forums let me down as usual... I've tried a lot of things and it's gotten better but depending on the game it still comes up, Dead by Daylight and Rainbox Six Siege are big offenders in this regard. Only thing I haven't tried yet is a full system reinstall but i can't get myself to take the plunge.

jonathanni1031

Prominent
Aug 4, 2019
Nope, Tom's hardware forums let me down as usual... I've tried a lot of things and it's gotten better but depending on the game it still comes up, Dead by Daylight and Rainbox Six Siege are big offenders in this regard. Only thing I haven't tried yet is a full system reinstall but i can't get myself to take the plunge.

I have an ASUS ROG Strix B550F, and recently I started to have problems with audio stuttering. I would be listening to music on spotify and I would load another youtube video or launch CSGO. The second I open them, my music would stutter. Not just from spotify, youtube would stutter also, making a weird robotic noise.

What I did to fix it was uninstalling audio drivers from device manager and then installing it again from the asus motherboard support website. From that, it seem to stop the issue but I haven't tested it long enough so I will update as time goes on.