Question Insane Ping spikes only in Rainbow Six Siege

Polowogs

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
I have just installed Windows 10 on a new system that I built. It is clean, and I am using a wireless adapter.
Specs:
Windows 10 LTSC 2019
Netgear AC1700 network adapter
GTX 970
i5-6500

The game runs amazingly at 130fps+ with no stutters or lag. What happens is when I am in game my internet connection goes down significantly. It becomes unplayable with 200+ ping and can no longer hear people in Discord. It only happens in this game and I am out of troubleshooting options that I can think of. Tried too many to list. Wondering if anyone here knows what is going on. Tried CS:GO and it works flawlessly, no connectivity problems.
Thank you.

Are you sure it is your internet connection and not the game messing your pc up somehow.

Can you try a ping to say 8.8.8.8 from another device while the game is running.

If your internet connection is very small you maybe exceeding your upload rates. Some games use more data than others but it is generally people on small dsl connections that have this issue.

When it is the game it pretty much can be anything. What is very strange is I have seen people claim they "fix" network problems by adjusting video setting. That should not be possible because they are not really related but more than one person has claimed to fix ping this way.

I would also try a ethernet connection. Maybe there is some issue with the wifi driver.

Quite honestly, its hard to diagnose wireless connectivety when its contained to 1 program.

In my experiences, I only have wireless issues with a game called Rocket League. I get a lot of packet loss and ping spikes.

And its fine in every other game.

I think it comes down to servers, your connection, and how the server interprets your connection.

If you have no issues with other games, then I would just say its simply because your on wireless and not hardwired.

Have you tried hardwiring and seeing if you have the same issue? If not, try it if your able too. If the issue goes away you know forsure its just because your on wireless.

Most issues from wireless will result in a overall system issue and not just 1 game. Some games just dont do well on wireless.

Is this a new issue? Meaning was it working fine before and now theres an issue? or was it always an issue?

Polowogs

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
Thank you for the replies,
Yes this is a new issue and it started after I reinstalled Windows 10 to my computer. I am running Windows 10 LTSC.
I did the ping tests while running the game, alt-tabbed and it came back fine at 20ms. So I have discovered that my internet connection is only bad when IN GAME, and when I ALT-TAB, it goes back to normal. That's why I'm not sure what is happening. I think I can try hard-wiring, but not sure.
This is now only a problem when in game and then even with the game open, if I alt tab, everything goes back to normal.
Any suggestions?

TRENDING THREADS