[SOLVED] Insane stuttering in Games after installing an M.2 ssd (WD Black SN 750)

Dec 18, 2020
I got my new SSD delivered a few hours ago.

Installed it instantaneously (before, I used a super cheap Kingston 240 gb ssd), and got Cyberpunk 2077 installed on it.
Before (literally 25 mins before), the game ran completely fine with smooth frametimes on medium settings around 60 fps but now its terrible.
Insane stuttering especially when I try to look around quickly. Its not the usual stutter that an unomtimized game can cause.
Also my fps decreased with 20-30.
But my desktop experience is flawless, the new ssd runs without any hiccups (except games)

Here's what I tried so far:

-Checking temps and overall performance in WD Dashboard (software) : everything was normal.
-Installing the game to the HDD it ran completely fine (i installed it to my hdd and my old ssd too to test out the performances and both ran smoothly ), and somehow got even more terrible results than installing on the new ssd (the menu was verry stuttery and buggy too: this means messages stuck on the screen weirdly)
-Unpluging all other storages that were connected to my pc: Still, no change
- Checking bios settings (up to date): under the NVME SSD menu there aren't any options.

The funny thing is, that i bought a new SSD because the one I had before was dying, but still, games were working with it perefectly fine.

Any ideas?

My build:

-MB: Asrock B250M Pro 4
-GPU: GTX 1660Ti
-CPU: i7 6700k
-RAM: Team Group 2x8 gb 2133Mhz
-(new) SSD in question: Western Digital Black SN750 250gb
-PSU: Be Quiet Pure Power 600W silver

Solution
Don't have such problems with the game installed on my Samsung 970 NVMe.

A few things to note with solid state drives and - your drive in particular*.

1. Make sure TRIM is enabled and working
  2. Make sure you have the latest firmware update for it
  3. Make sure when gaming you are running in the drive's Game mode*.
  4. Make sure you do not exceed 85% actual capacity, which applies to both HDDs and SSDs.
Also, if you run a defrag tool, especially one that works in the background, set it to ignore your solid state drives.
Don't have such problems with the game installed on my Samsung 970 NVMe.

A few things to note with solid state drives and - your drive in particular*.

1. Make sure TRIM is enabled and working
  2. Make sure you have the latest firmware update for it
  3. Make sure when gaming you are running in the drive's Game mode*.
  4. Make sure you do not exceed 85% actual capacity, which applies to both HDDs and SSDs.
Also, if you run a defrag tool, especially one that works in the background, set it to ignore your solid state drives.

Solution
Jan 7, 2021
I'm having a similar issue with an addlink s70 2TB I just purchased. When a game needs to load from (or write to, for that matter) disk, there is a visible hang (resulting in dropped frames). It happens in pretty much any game, regardless of graphical complexity (osu! hangs when loading songs on the menu, for example). Funnily enough, I also have an ASRock motherboard (Z390). Like you said, there are no options in the boot menu specific to the drive. Did you ever get anything figured out?

Dec 18, 2020
I'm having a similar issue with an addlink s70 2TB I just purchased. When a game needs to load from (or write to, for that matter) disk, there is a visible hang (resulting in dropped frames). It happens in pretty much any game, regardless of graphical complexity (osu! hangs when loading songs on the menu, for example). Funnily enough, I also have an ASRock motherboard (Z390). Like you said, there are no options in the boot menu specific to the drive. Did you ever get anything figured out?

Yes I did. Actually it's kind of embarassing and it propably won't help you... It didn't have to do anything with the ssd. During the installation I had to remove the graphics card and when I put it back, I didn't install the power cables properly. (two pin or whatever weren't connected) What's weird about it is that somehow the stuttering was less apparent in games installed on my hard drive.

TRENDING THREADS