Insanely fast Samsung 850 evo?

shadowyaura

Commendable
May 17, 2016
I recently installed the samsung magician software for my two samsung 850 evos and I had put the main drive into performance and rapid mode. Upon further inspection, it is getting 6700 MB/s in Sequential Read and 6100 MB/s in Sequential Write compared to my other samsung 850 evo at 550 Seq. Read. and 530 Seq. Write. Should this be an issue? Did I accidentally toggle something that I shouldn't of that would drastically decrease the life span of my main ssd when it is going at this fast speeds?

Solution

This is RAPID mode, where the drive uploads frequently used files to RAM, so you get this insane 6k+ MB/s speed.
The downside of this, is that should there be a black-out, your work will not be saved, and files may become corrupt and...

morpheas768

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

This is RAPID mode, where the drive uploads frequently used files to RAM, so you get this insane 6k+ MB/s speed.
The downside of this, is that should there be a black-out, your work will not be saved, and files may become corrupt and unusable. RAM only stores files temporarily, and while the drive updates the changes made as soon as possible, there's no guarantee that there wont be any problems if the power goes out.

You can read more about RAPID here:http://techreport.com/review/25282/a-closer-look-at-rapid-dram-caching-on-the-samsung-840-evo-ssd
Granted, this is for an older 840 EVO, but should still be roughly applicable to the newer 850.

I've got the same drive btw (850 EVO 250GB) and I've disabled RAPID, as I dont really see any benefits having it enabled.

EDIT: Whitepaper by Samsung, explaining RAPID technology in detail

Solution

morpheas768

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Please disregard the above link as it refers to an early version of RAPID and doesnt accurately represent the current version that the 850 EVO can utilize.

Read this instead: http://techreport.com/review/26701/samsung-850-pro-solid-state-drive-reviewed/3

Even though its the Samsung 850 Pro that is being reviewed, the 850 EVO should produce similar differences with and without RAPID enabled, since they are using the exact same software by Samsung.