[SOLVED] Insanely High Temps on i7 7700k

ThePCGamer123

Honorable
Feb 12, 2016
Hello, everyone. I have been having some crazy thermals on my i7 7700k recently.

Nothing in this system is overclocked.

My build is as follows
CPU: Intel i7 7700k
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i 280mm with be quiet fans, fans set to exhaust out top vents
More CPU cooling: the processor has been de-lidded by Silicon Lottery. thermal paste on inside of CPU has been replaced with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal thermal paste. Thermal paste on outside is Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
GPU: Sapphire Vega 64
MOBO: MSI Z170A Mpower Gaming Titanium
Case: be quiet Silent Base 801.
Case Fans: 5x be quiet 140mm fans. 4 intake (3 on front 1 bottom) and 1 outtake (rear, plus two radiator fans on top)

As of writing this, my CPU is idling at 50 degrees (Celsius). During gaming sessions, the processor gets to 75 degrees almost immediately and quickly approaches 90 degrees on games like Battlefield 1 and Battlefront II (1080p, ultra settings, 144fps). After some time the temperatures get to 100.

Clearly something is wrong here. Even though my case is notoriously closed off, it should not be cooking my cpu like this. I think my cooling setup should be good enough to handle a 7700k at stock.

According to CPUID Hardware Monitor, my CPU core voltage maxes around 1.280. I don't know if this voltage is too high for stock settings. My water cooler could be malfunctioning, but according to Corsair Link the pump is achieving 3000 RPM and 1000 rpm on the fans.

I am at a loss to the problem here and need to fix it before my CPU is damaged. I currently don't feel comfortable gaming on this system. Any ideas about what is going wrong would be helpful.

Solution
Yeah sounds like a dead or dying pump to me, Symptoms are what you are experiencing, high temps. sometimes they make a ton of noise when they go out, sometimes they don't. My old Thermal Take 360mm aio didn't die, but temps were getting hot, the cpu block was growing things, slimy green and black crud that plugged the pump up.

Corsair is really good that warranties, talk with them and see if they will replace it, Other option would be to buy a new cooler.

I'd recommend air cooling myself, The nh-d15 from Noctua is a bit large, but I've see some people get 5ghz out of the 7700k on it, depends on what the voltage it takes to get there. AIO's are nice and all, but they typiclly have to be replaced in my experience a little after 5- 6...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i 280mm with be quiet fans, fans set to exhaust out top vents
More CPU cooling: the processor has been de-lidded by Silicon Lottery. thermal paste on inside of CPU has been replaced with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal thermal paste. Thermal paste on outside is Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut

All I can say is you let somebody screw you up or the pump is going out (could also be a air pocket but not likely on a AIO) on the H115. The H115 should cool that processor just fine even after overclocking without having any deliding work done to it.

I would suggest next time post before you let somebody do things like that.

Last edited:

ThePCGamer123

Honorable
Feb 12, 2016

All I can say is you let somebody screw you up or the pump is going out (could also be a air pocket but not likely on a AIO) on the H115. The H115 should cool that processor just fine even after overclocking without having any deliding work done to it.

I would suggest next time post before you let somebody do things like that.

What are the symptoms of a dying water pump? Other than crazy temperatures.
If I find out it is dying, what would be a good replacement for this case?

May 18, 2020
currently running 7700k overclocked @ 5.0GHz (not delidded)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
volts: 1.38-1.428
idle temps: 28-35 c
stress: 79-82 c (68-73 playing COD Warfare)
Fans: 6 (3 intake, 3 exhaust)
GPU: Titan XP (overclocked)

I think you should double check on the thermal paste
When I did the cooler install I did not add any additional thermal paste onto the CPU
clean your fans? idk need to be a little more specific of when you notice the changes and if you made any changes to your build!

Last edited:
Yeah sounds like a dead or dying pump to me, Symptoms are what you are experiencing, high temps. sometimes they make a ton of noise when they go out, sometimes they don't. My old Thermal Take 360mm aio didn't die, but temps were getting hot, the cpu block was growing things, slimy green and black crud that plugged the pump up.

Corsair is really good that warranties, talk with them and see if they will replace it, Other option would be to buy a new cooler.

I'd recommend air cooling myself, The nh-d15 from Noctua is a bit large, but I've see some people get 5ghz out of the 7700k on it, depends on what the voltage it takes to get there. AIO's are nice and all, but they typiclly have to be replaced in my experience a little after 5- 6 years, Though I do have a original H100 cooling a 9700k, Thing just wont die.

Solution