Question Insanely slow since power loss (SSD 0%, HDD 100%)

Jul 15, 2019
Hi everyone,

I have a problem since a power loss. (the computer was on)

The setup is like that : SSD 250Go and HDD 2To. Windows 10 is installed on the SSD and all other datas are on HDD (Game, Software, ...).

Since the power loss, my computer is insanely slow to boot and to shut down. When I arrive on the login screen, I type my password and the screen stay black during more than 30min, I can move the mouse and do ctrl+alt+del but that's all. It takes around 20min to open a terminal or the task manager and around 45mn to see some icons appear on the desktop.
I tried many things to fix issues, at the beggining I tought the problem was only a problem of windows but it turns out no. I also observed that the % of usage of my SSD is around 0-2% when I do nothing (only task manager), but my HDD is always at 100% usage even if it does nothing. So, I ran a chkdsk on this drive and it turns out there are some unreadable part and some part a slower to check than others, the execution is really slow too.

Do you guys think all my problems come from the HDD ? How can I repair it ?

Thanks,
Zaangetsu

Last edited:

mazooni

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
Unfortunately a fluctuation in power could cause component issues on the hardware level and software issues as well (messed up windows installation etc). Try to reset your CMOS. Unplug RAM and put back in as well as unplug PSU. I know it sounds weird but re seating RAM and unplugging then re plugging PSU has oddly fixed these types of issues for some people. Thanks!

Jul 15, 2019
Hey guys ! I solved my issue !

The first time I tried a chksdk /f and it ended up with an error at step 4 after 1.5 hour. I tried my useless thing after that. Before going to bed, in last hope, I tried a chkdsk /f /r /x. When I woke up the issue was solved, it was just a software issue in the end.

Thanks for your suggestions guys :)