Inserting 4 GB of ram as 4 x 1GB sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncbaby

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
I am a little confused about why Windows 7 is saying that I only have 3.4GB of available RAM after installing 4GB.
I checked in the BIOS and this also stated that I only have 3.4GB... why is it saying this do you think? And could it be the reason for my desktop's instability.

Many thanks,

S

Solution

Live with what you have or build a new PC. I wouldn't spend any more money on your old machine. :non:
No. Could be your operating system limitations for 32 bit windows, or some of it may be used for onboard video. This topic has been covered many times. 3.25 gb was my limit for 32 bit windows 7 while running 4 gb. And instability can be many things. Need more info for that.

duncbaby

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks for that, indeed I have looked through those other threads and it is specific to my motherboard.
However, the instability occurs whenever I go above 2GB - whether I install 4GB or just 3GB. The machine will freeze at random moments, but usually around a few minutes in. If I take the extra memory out all is fine. I ran memtest 86 (if i remember the name correctly) and all four 1GB sticks passed 100% with 0% of errors.
Any thoughts, I really appreciate the help.

Possibly, you need to slightly increase your memory voltage to compensate for the fact that you have 4 sticks of memory. Some motherboards become slightly unstable when more than 2 sticks of memory are installed. Increased memory voltage can alleviate this. What is the specified voltage for your memory?

duncbaby

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
I'm afraid I don't know what the voltage is? how would I find that out.
I had seen this suggested on a previous thread... how does one increase the voltage, there doesn't seem to be an option in the BIOS for that.

Thanks for your help!

duncbaby

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

According to the manual for the nf4uk8aa it supports up to 4 GB, though utilizing all four slots, it doesn't mention anything about single sided RAM?

It would have to be done in the BIOS setup. Without knowing your motherboard, I wouldn't know how to change the memory voltage. :(

I just looked up your MB manual.

There doesn't seem to be a way to increase the Voltage for your Ram. :eek:
At least, I can't find it in the Manual. :cry:

duncbaby

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

Any thoughts on what I should do?

duncbaby

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

I let it run through just once, took about 12 minutes. Why should one run it more time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS