Question Inside of the PSU melted

jathin.kashyap23

Reputable
Oct 1, 2018
So since a few months, say January, my mother complained of a smell that's similar to that of a cigarette. Now, I'm a non smoker, so I figured it was the heat of the pc that let out that smell. But me, being the removed that I am, didn't care enough to look for the actual cause of the smell. So since Feb, I've started to notice a weird issue with my PC's bootup process. Whenever I switched off the main switch, or whenever there was a power cut, my pc, when rebooted, showed no display. In easier terms, only the CPU LEDs, the keyboard and the mouse worked, aMonitor showed a "No signal" error message. So the fix for this was to repeatedly spam the delete button as soon as the cpu's power button was pressed. And even this didn't work everytime. So I always kept the main switch on, and hoped for no power cuts. So after facing a powercut today, I decided to do the same fix ritual again, except I got fed up of it, and decided to check the PSU for some reason. And then I noticed the white melted plastic looking like mayo mixed with blue cheese. Please check the pictures for a clearer understanding. So the question is, what could have caused this?http://imgur.com/gallery/g79
Added pictures^

Last edited by a moderator:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no pics to look at.

either way, the psu is toast and should not be used anymore. it needs to be replaced. once it burns up like that, it is unsafe to use for any reason!!!

many things can do this but would be hard for us to tell with a few pictures anyway.

So since Feb, I've started to notice a weird issue with my PC's bootup process. Whenever I switched off the main switch, or whenever there was a power cut, my pc, when rebooted, showed no display. In easier terms, only the CPU LEDs, the keyboard and the mouse worked, aMonitor showed a "No signal" error message. So the fix for this was to repeatedly spam the delete button as soon as the cpu's power button was pressed. And even this didn't work everytime. So I always kept the main switch on, and hoped for no power cuts.

Ok. That problem is actually your motherboard. And it's not really a "problem" as you're not operating your PC correctly. You should not be shutting off the main power to an ATX PSU. Doing so discontinues +5VSB power to the motherboard and the BIOS loses some settings.

I bet if you just shut down in Windows like normal, DO NOT kill the main power, then turn the PC back on using the power button on the case, it works perfectly normal, doesn't it?

jathin.kashyap23

Reputable
Oct 1, 2018
Ok. That problem is actually your motherboard. And it's not really a "problem" as you're not operating your PC correctly. You should not be shutting off the main power to an ATX PSU. Doing so discontinues +5VSB power to the motherboard and the BIOS loses some settings.

I bet if you just shut down in Windows like normal, DO NOT kill the main power, then turn the PC back on using the power button on the case, it works perfectly normal, doesn't it?

I am shutting the pc down normally, either through windows or the power button on the CPU case. But the main power shuts down when a power cut occurs and I do not have a ups yet. Also, I jump started the PC, and I'm getting the display now. So I wanted to test further. I started to play rdr 2 on high/ultra settings 1440p, and the PSU fan isn't spinning. It was spinning when the PC booted up and all, but up until now, nothing. Is there any setting to enable the fan permanently?

jathin.kashyap23

Reputable
Oct 1, 2018
So when does the PC not turn on normally? When you shut down through Windows or after you lose power?
Only when there's a power cut or when the main switch is turned off. It boots up perfectly fine when the main switch hasn't been turned off or a power cut hasn't occurred. If it does happen though, it switches on and off by itself every 5 seconds, then boots up but no display. At this point I can't even shut it down using the power button. I have to switch the main power off again and then reboot it while vigorously spamming the "Delete" key. The same "on for 5 seconds" thing happens. And then I wait for the pc to stay up as long as 10 seconds, not more, and then it turns off, only to be rebooted now with display. This is the only way (that I know of) it can be turned on after switching the main plug off.

Only when there's a power cut or when the main switch is turned off. It boots up perfectly fine when the main switch hasn't been turned off or a power cut hasn't occurred. If it does happen though, it switches on and off by itself every 5 seconds, then boots up but no display. At this point I can't even shut it down using the power button. I have to switch the main power off again and then reboot it while vigorously spamming the "Delete" key. The same "on for 5 seconds" thing happens. And then I wait for the pc to stay up as long as 10 seconds, not more, and then it turns off, only to be rebooted now with display. This is the only way (that I know of) it can be turned on after switching the main plug off.

Ok. That's an action of the motherboard. Not the PSU.

If you have that many power outages, you really should get a UPS.

Reactions: jathin.kashyap23

jathin.kashyap23

Reputable
Oct 1, 2018
Ok. That's an action of the motherboard. Not the PSU.

If you have that many power outages, you really should get a UPS.
I'll get one once the lockdown in our country ends. Also, you said that this is a motherboard problem. Could you please be specific? What exactly is the problem and what other solution do we have other than getting a UPS? Thanks!