Insight please...

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
AMD 6000+
PCI 16x 1.0<MSI OC GTX 260
4GB G.Skill

So my question is how long do you guys think i have with this cpu before it really just kills over at any sight of gaming...i know it already can't handle gta.... :(

Im just hoping i have a decent amount of time left and by then i can add a new MB/CPU hopefully a better case etc

On that note...when i do upgrade il keep the GFX card in the next build but i want to know where is gaming going with cpus...err quadcore or can i stick with a dual core...either way is fine with me i just want the upgrade after this to keep me future proof for a few years cpu wise...

I dont play gta but from what I have read no computer handles it well .

Depending on your motherboard you might be able to add a Phenom X3 720 or similar for about $140 . You might have to flash your BIOS . Look on the mb manufacturers site for cpu compatibility

4745454b

Titan
How long it will last depends on the games you play and the resolution. Sim/RTS games like GTA, Flight SimX, Supreme Commander, etc require more CPU power then shooters like TF2, CoD4, etc. If you like the sims, you're going to need an upgrade a lot sooner then if you like shooters. Overclocking will help some depending on how much you can push it. As already mentioned you might be able to drop a better K10 based CPU into your system if your motherboard supports it.

Edit: Are you sure?

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
ELITEGROUP MCP61PM-AM 1.0A Rev.A3 from a Gateway GT5656 with the intergrated Nvidia 6150 SE

Maybe you can prove me wrong...now that i look at it my sources may have not been the best to rely on

Im not a huge RTS fan but il play one or two...my resolution id like to play at as long as i can is 1680x1050....but i have a 1280x1024 monitor right beside me i could deal with if i had to...and em there is a 1024x768 LCD here too and its not the worst there is

And why is it CPU-Z reports my ram as a max speed of 400 MHZ and that it is running at 376 MHZ are the timings wrong to?...WTF...

4745454b

Titan
That is a gateway only motherboard, so overclocking is most likely out. Without the gateway model number, I can't seem to find it on their site, though I did find a link to a bios for it.

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=21605&dscr=ECS-MCP61PM-AM+Motherboard+BIOSVersion:+61GW112GS&uid=206941811

Oddly enough, it doesn't say what it the bios supports/enables. You might want to try contacting gateway and see what they say about CPU support. It does use the Nvidia 6150 chipset, which is capable of supporting Phenom CPUs. Perhaps someone else can find more about it on the gateway site as well.

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
No offense but im glad im not relying on your info because a google search will tell you it allows overclocking and iv already tested it a bit myself albeit nothing extensive....il probably get a hold of gateway for the hell of it

4745454b

Titan
No offense, but learn to read. I said,

so overclocking is most likely out.

I didn't say it was impossible, it depends on how much the OEM wanted to lock the bios. Also, the link you provided doesn't say what CPUs it supports. In theory, AM2+ CPUs are backwards compatible with AM2 sockets. They have to disable the AM2+ features, but they should work, provided there is enough bios support. Without knowing if Gateway decided to allow Phenoms however, we can only guess if it works. (I also don't see in your link the model number for the gateway that you own. This is perhaps the best way to search on their site for the answer of Phenom support.

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Learn to read...i never said you said it was impossible :whistle: Most people would just accept that and discern overclocking by your word alone...if i plan on assisting someone i do routine searches on there parts etc...

Now i didn't know they where backwards compatible....il do some checking on my serial number i got the link from tech support and of course other then what the link says he knows nothing...

http://support.gateway.com/support/srt/allsysteminfo.aspx?sn=CCX7CC1011337

S/N:CCX7CC1011337

BTW the model number is GT5656...of course finding it on the site takes a bit of time...

Edit:Ok iv contacted Gateway and some moron reading manuals tells me my motherboard will only support an AMD 6000+....and that i should contact the MB manufacturer etc

Ok iv contacted there live online support techs and from there i was told to go to a telephone support number...but they can't give me any information at all on the newest bios update or previous updates...what to do...what to do