Insp 3800 laptop keyboard uses number pad

Hi, I have a problem with the Dell Inspiron 3800 number pad. Normally, I use
an extended keyboard for my work. When I go offsite (to Internet cafes and
such), I use the built-in laptop keyboard obviously.

My problem is that the laptop keyboard, for some reason, has the Fn key
depressed as its default. For instance, U, I, O, P, J, etc keys -- all the
keys with a small, blue character -- act like the Fn key is depressed. To
get the keys to act normally, I have the press the Fn key. Very annoying and
almost impossible to type quickly.

There must be an easy way to fix this. But the Help system isn't very
helpful. And I've noticed that in the Keyboard control panel, my MS Office
Keyboard is the only one in the drivers list. Should I install the keyboard
driver for the 3800? Is there one that is WinXP compatible? (my machine came
with WinME).

--
-------------------------------
remove "smooth" from my yahoo.com address.

hmc wrote:
> Hi, I have a problem with the Dell Inspiron 3800 number pad.
> Normally, I use an extended keyboard for my work. When I go offsite
> (to Internet cafes and such), I use the built-in laptop keyboard
> obviously.
>
> My problem is that the laptop keyboard, for some reason, has the Fn
> key depressed as its default. For instance, U, I, O, P, J, etc keys
> -- all the keys with a small, blue character -- act like the Fn key
> is depressed. To get the keys to act normally, I have the press the
> Fn key. Very annoying and almost impossible to type quickly.
>
> There must be an easy way to fix this. But the Help system isn't very
> helpful. And I've noticed that in the Keyboard control panel, my MS
> Office Keyboard is the only one in the drivers list. Should I install
> the keyboard driver for the 3800? Is there one that is WinXP
> compatible? (my machine came with WinME).

On some laptops, tapping the Fn key a few times brings up a menu to
select disable, enable, etc. Are you sure your num lock is not set?

i had the same problem for the past week

then i figured out the error

My NumLK key was depressed. I simply pressed it to remove that

Please try this on yours and let me know if it works

Cheers :)

==============

THANK YOU, HUGOMONTOYA AND QUAOAR! This has been vexing me for the last year
but since I rarely use the laptop keyboard I never sought help.

--
"hugomontoya" <balakrs@sympatico-dot-ca.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> i had the same problem for the past week
>
> then i figured out the error
>
> My NumLK key was depressed. I simply pressed it to remove that
>
> Please try this on yours and let me know if it works
>
> Cheers :)

troubleshooting newsgroups.